Multiple Developers and Staging Server

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
This is my first effort with nopCommerce 2.0 and am running into a lot of problems that I have never experienced with previous versions.

The development team I work with needs to be able to run local versions of nopCommerce 2.0 and have each access a database housed on a staging server.

One of the developers downloaded, installed, and configured nopCommerce 2.0, setup the database on the staging server, and populated it with real content.

The problem the rest of the development group is now having is that we cannot run a local version and connect to the staging server.  It is imperative that we work locally before deploying the changes to the staging server as our client is able to view the staging server and is currently working with the initial installation.

Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks
12 years ago
smckee wrote:
This is my first effort with nopCommerce 2.0 and am running into a lot of problems that I have never experienced with previous versions.

The development team I work with needs to be able to run local versions of nopCommerce 2.0 and have each access a database housed on a staging server.

One of the developers downloaded, installed, and configured nopCommerce 2.0, setup the database on the staging server, and populated it with real content.

The problem the rest of the development group is now having is that we cannot run a local version and connect to the staging server.  It is imperative that we work locally before deploying the changes to the staging server as our client is able to view the staging server and is currently working with the initial installation.

Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks

If you're using source control then the developer who initially created the database and installed sample data should check in their "Settings.txt" and "Plugins.txt" file. These files live in App_Data and essentially tell the website there is a live database and provides the connection string to the website.

The above assumes that when you say "other developers cannot run a local version and connect" it means it tries to install for all other developers. My work environment is very similar to yours. Shared database, "staging server", and local development. It is working for our team.
12 years ago
One additional thing to note is that working on a shared database could get painful if your team is making large data model changes. Since one developer might have a different data model than the rest of the developers during their project. I think it would be more advantageous to isolate each development environment and synchronize at regular intervals (end of each feature, end of a project, every 2 weeks, etc.)
12 years ago
I still cannot successfully install nopCommerce on my machine.  I have tried running the current project from our SVN repository and that blows up with a ton of errors, and I've tried a fresh install using guide located in this post https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/11030/20-local-installation.aspx.  Nothing has worked for me.

Error Message while installing:

Setup failed: System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains more than one element at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source) at System.Data.Objects.ELinq.ObjectQueryProvider.<GetElementFunction>b__3[TResult](IEnumerable`1 sequence) at System.Data.Objects.ELinq.ObjectQueryProvider.ExecuteSingle[TResult](IEnumerable`1 query, Expression queryRoot) at System.Data.Objects.ELinq.ObjectQueryProvider.System.Linq.IQueryProvider.Execute[S](Expression expression) at System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.DbQueryProvider.Execute[TResult](Expression expression) at System.Linq.Queryable.Single[TSource](IQueryable`1 source) at Nop.Services.Installation.InstallationService.InstallSettings() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\McKays\trunk\wwwroot\Libraries\Nop.Services\Installation\InstallationService.cs:line 4497 at Nop.Services.Installation.InstallationService.InstallData(String defaultUserEmail, String defaultUserPassword, Boolean installSampleData) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\McKays\trunk\wwwroot\Libraries\Nop.Services\Installation\InstallationService.cs:line 9057 at Nop.Web.Controllers.InstallController.Index(InstallModel model) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\McKays\trunk\wwwroot\Presentation\Nop.Web\Controllers\InstallController.cs:line 378

Please take me step by step through the process.
12 years ago
smckee wrote:
Setup failed: System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains more than one element at

https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/10620/200-beta-install-error-new-rev-existing-db.aspx
12 years ago
Thank you for all your help.  Using these examples has worked for me.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.