Is a flash .swf menu possible?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
I am experimenting with a flash menu including buttons linking to categories.

The file is sourced here http://www.jon.hopley.net  

The file is jonhopleynet01.swf and works ok,

however if I embed it as a flash object on the homepage text using the WYSIWYG editor, the buttons no longer work.

Am I missing something, or over simplifying?

Do i need to add code to the master-wrapper-content column three?
11 years ago
I don't know this technology, but I suppose it's similar to others. Give a look at flashnet.net for application of the kind.
I refer to these, the one I use:

1) You need to copy all files in a folder: I use \content\FlashAppFolderName
2) Copy all functions and external references (css, javascript, etc to /shared/root.cshtml. Pay attention to references: I prefer to attain to razor syntax, just for style, but, if the URI doesn't change, you can assign absolute references
3) You need to remove the menu and replace it with your own. Open common/menu.cshtml and work inside the<ul> tag. Pay attention to css references (if any), as they are relative to this position.

Let me know if it works, but it should.
11 years ago
sorry that link wasn't working for a while! oops :-)
11 years ago
It's possible. I've done it. But, yes, the CSS for the headers area makes it a big ol' pain in da buttocks. I chose against using it.

Just follow infinito62's advice about external reference to the javascript or it will bug out.
11 years ago
I use a complete CSS menu.

Please see: www.icc.com / www.cablesys.com

I also use a topic for my menu so I can style and configure my menu however I want. I'm sure you can use a flash type menu, try placing it into the Menu view.
11 years ago
I'm looking for a simple answer, it may or may not be as straightforward as I think.

Here's the flash menu : http://jon.hopley.net

Here's the same menu embedded in HomePageTxt : http://grove.groveautobody.co.uk

The buttons no longer function.

What is the most logical step to take?

Thanks in advance
11 years ago
Those are very nice sites, I especially like your cablesys menu ! :-)
11 years ago
Flash is a terrible technology for a menu.

It doesn't work on iphone or ipad.

It requires the user to have the flash pluggin.  

It is not very SEO friendly.

Flash should just not be used for menus or websites period.

It's somewhat fine for rich media / games but it still doesn't work on iTech.

IMO obviously.
11 years ago
I agree, in fact I use a css menu. It's not so scenographic but, true, it works under all platforms.
11 years ago
hi JonNopper,

it seems you are content in attempting to use your flash menu. where are you placing your call for the menu though? if you are placing it inside of the HomePageText topic, I do believe that wouldn't work. Try placing it inside of the actual view file (Index.cshtml). in order to do this, you have to go Views > Home > Index. Edit that file and either place it under the call for HomePageText. Try this first. I'm sure it would work, it just needs to be placed in the appropriate area.

I, myself, do not know how to code in flash. Why? The first time I ever attempted learning flash was back in 1999-2000 and although it was great then, i and many others have seen the flaw in flash. i refused to learn anymore flash coding since then because, although it can be magical at time, flash just isn't compatible with many layouts and coding.

I'm unsure if you're looking to incorporate this for a client or what not, but that same menu can be created using CSS and real text, which means Google can see it. That menu doesn't do anything special since it doesn't move or anything, which is what flash users would want out of that kind of menu. Just my 2 cents buddy. Hopefully, I was able to assist you and get it to work.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.