SQL query help

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
9 years ago
New York wrote:
Note that the query does not exclude cancelled orders, etc.

Run the query without any date filter (i.e. remove AND (dbo.[Order].PaidDateUtc BETWEEN ...)
Then, get a few ProductId's your concerned with, and compare the results with this very simple query that only uses the OrderItem table

SELECT    dbo.OrderItem.ProductId,
          SUM(dbo.OrderItem.Quantity) AS [# Units Sold],
          SUM(dbo.OrderItem.Quantity * dbo.OrderItem.UnitPriceExclTax) AS [Total Sales Revenue],
          SUM(dbo.OrderItem.Quantity * dbo.OrderItem.OriginalProductCost) AS [Total Product Cost],
          SUM(dbo.OrderItem.Quantity * dbo.OrderItem.UnitPriceExclTax - dbo.OrderItem.Quantity * dbo.OrderItem.OriginalProductCost) AS [Total Profit]
FROM dbo.OrderItem
WHERE ProductId in (5,7,31,51)
GROUP BY  dbo.OrderItem.ProductId
ORDER BY  dbo.OrderItem.ProductId

(replace the product ids)

OK, I see what you mean.
So, then, I guess the query needs to also filter results to exclude deleted or cancelled orders...or maybe just filter on the OrderStatusId being 'completed' ??

I ran the query again like this:

dbo.Product.SKU,
          dbo.Product.Name,
          SUM(dbo.OrderItem.Quantity * dbo.OrderItem.UnitPriceExclTax) AS [Total Sales Revenue],
          SUM(dbo.OrderItem.Quantity * dbo.OrderItem.OriginalProductCost) AS [Total Product Cost],
          SUM(dbo.OrderItem.Quantity * dbo.OrderItem.UnitPriceExclTax - dbo.OrderItem.Quantity * dbo.OrderItem.OriginalProductCost) AS [Total Profit]

FROM  dbo.Product
LEFT JOIN dbo.OrderItem
       ON dbo.Product.Id = dbo.OrderItem.ProductId
LEFT JOIN dbo.[Order]
       ON dbo.OrderItem.OrderId = dbo.[Order].Id
      AND (dbo.[Order].PaidDateUtc BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME, '2014-11-01 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2014-11-30 00:00:00', 102))

WHERE dbo.Product.Published=1
AND dbo.Product.Deleted <> 1
GROUP BY  dbo.OrderItem.ProductId, dbo.Product.SKU, dbo.Product.Name
ORDER BY  dbo.OrderItem.ProductId, dbo.Product.SKU, dbo.Product.Name

..and in the results, for example, product id#279 shows that we sold 2065 units, when in reality, we sold and shipped less than 200 units that month.

Metatarsal Pad - Felt

We only cancelled maybe a dozen orders for the entire month.

I'm not certain, but my numbers sold in the query results are so much higher than what we really shipped, I can only imagine it is incomplete guest orders being counted or something???

I suspect that just prior to running the query, maintenance should be performed that deletes incompleted guest orders...which, I assume, also deletes the associated OrderItem records.
9 years ago
There are no "incomplete guest orders".  Items stay in the ShoppingCartItem table until the order is "confirmed".

You probably should not use:

Even if product is no longer "available", does not mean that it was not sold in the past.  Check the Order.OrderStatusId instead:

public enum OrderStatus
    {
        /// <summary>
        /// Pending
        /// </summary>
        Pending = 10,
        /// <summary>
        /// Processing
        /// </summary>
        Processing = 20,
        /// <summary>
        /// Complete
        /// </summary>
        Complete = 30,
        /// <summary>
        /// Cancelled
        /// </summary>
        Cancelled = 40
    }
8 years ago
embryo wrote:
Note that the query does not exclude cancelled orders, etc.

Run the query without any date filter (i.e. remove AND (dbo.[Order].PaidDateUtc BETWEEN ...)
Then, get a few ProductId's your concerned with, and compare the results with this very simple query that only uses the OrderItem table

FROM dbo.OrderItem
WHERE ProductId in (5,7,31,51)
GROUP BY  dbo.OrderItem.ProductId
ORDER BY  dbo.OrderItem.ProductId

(replace the product ids)

OK, I see what you mean.
So, then, I guess the query needs to also filter results to exclude deleted or cancelled orders...or maybe just filter on the OrderStatusId being 'completed' ??

I ran the query again like this:

dbo.Product.SKU,
          dbo.Product.Name,

FROM  dbo.Product
LEFT JOIN dbo.OrderItem
       ON dbo.Product.Id = dbo.OrderItem.ProductId
LEFT JOIN dbo.[Order]
       ON dbo.OrderItem.OrderId = dbo.[Order].Id
      AND (dbo.[Order].PaidDateUtc BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME, '2014-11-01 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2014-11-30 00:00:00', 102))

GROUP BY  dbo.OrderItem.ProductId, dbo.Product.SKU, dbo.Product.Name
ORDER BY  dbo.OrderItem.ProductId, dbo.Product.SKU, dbo.Product.Name

..and in the results, for example, product id#279 shows that we sold 2065 units, when in reality, we sold and shipped less than 200 units that month.

Metatarsal Pad - Felt

We only cancelled maybe a dozen orders for the entire month.

I'm not certain, but my numbers sold in the query results are so much higher than what we really shipped, I can only imagine it is incomplete guest orders being counted or something???

I suspect that just prior to running the query, maintenance should be performed that deletes incompleted guest orders...which, I assume, also deletes the associated OrderItem records.

Hi,

i know that this is very old topic, but i need your help, do you still use this sql query ? and can you please give me the latest modified query you are using?

thanx in advance
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.