Administrator Override of Shipping Costs

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hello,

Is there a way in nopCommerce to let an admin user modifiy the calculated shipping cost of an order before it is placed?

Basically, we want to have a specific rate per item for shipping.  Most of the time, customers will be purchasing individual items, so this works well.  But we want to put something on the cart that says "call or email for custom shipping quote", so if they buy multiple items we can figure a combined cost.  This would work very similar to how eBay has their combined shipping quote requests.

I would want to do this for orders that are in some sort of "pending" status, or still in the shopping cart - because we only want one transaction to appear on their credit card statement.  If they called or emailed to request a quote, can we go in to the administration site and pull open their order or cart and override the shipping total?

It sounds like I may need to do some custom programming to make this work - which is fine.  But I'm not sure in the architecture of this system what state the order and/or shopping cart should be in and how that would flow through the rest of the regular order process.

Originally, we tried putting in weight for each item and letting USPS calculation do its job - but we found that it didn't cover all of our concerns.  For example, many items we sell need to be sent registered/insured.  And while we ship priority mail, the system can't very easily tell us when we can use the flat-rate boxes and when we can't - even with dimensions entered.  So the best option for us is a fixed shipping cost on each item, plus some way to override the total on a case-by-case basis.

Please advise.  Thanks.
13 years ago
mj1856 wrote:
Hello,

Is there a way in nopCommerce to let an admin user modifiy the calculated shipping cost of an order before it is placed?

Basically, we want to have a specific rate per item for shipping.  Most of the time, customers will be purchasing individual items, so this works well.  But we want to put something on the cart that says "call or email for custom shipping quote", so if they buy multiple items we can figure a combined cost.  This would work very similar to how eBay has their combined shipping quote requests.

I would want to do this for orders that are in some sort of "pending" status, or still in the shopping cart - because we only want one transaction to appear on their credit card statement.  If they called or emailed to request a quote, can we go in to the administration site and pull open their order or cart and override the shipping total?

It sounds like I may need to do some custom programming to make this work - which is fine.  But I'm not sure in the architecture of this system what state the order and/or shopping cart should be in and how that would flow through the rest of the regular order process.

Originally, we tried putting in weight for each item and letting USPS calculation do its job - but we found that it didn't cover all of our concerns.  For example, many items we sell need to be sent registered/insured.  And while we ship priority mail, the system can't very easily tell us when we can use the flat-rate boxes and when we can't - even with dimensions entered.  So the best option for us is a fixed shipping cost on each item, plus some way to override the total on a case-by-case basis.

Please advise.  Thanks.

Here is a trick that might help you to set a fixed shipping cost for each item:

Instead uf setting the weight (X kg, for instance) put the shipping cost X for that item and then use the Shipping by Ordeer Weight computaton method and fix the cost per Kg in 1 $/kg. So, for instance,  if you have an item whose shipping cost is $3.5 then set weight=3.5 kg, for another of $2.0 per item set weight=2.0, and so on.

I do not know the programming to overide the shipping cost but the following thread might give you some hints:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/2196/shipping-cost-by-weight-brackets.aspx
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.