GoDaddy Installation Instructions for V1.90

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Steps for creating a new site on GoDaddy (much of this was copied verbatim from an earlier post by MickyP, with additions based on my recent 3+ hour until 2:30AM install process for something that should really take about 30 minutes)

1.  Create a hosting site on GoDaddy using a Windows package.  Remember to choose the Windows option, not Linux.

2.  Download NopCommerce 1.90 with the source code and unzip/extract it.

3.  Go to the nopCommerce_1.90_Source\NopCommerceStore folder.  Highlight everything in that folder and zip it into a zip file.  It is easiest to zip it this way, because everything that is currently at nopCommerce_1.90_Source\NopCommerceStore on your PC you're going to want in the \html folder on your GoDaddy site.

4.  Upload zip file to your GoDaddy site.
a.  Log into your GoDaddy account and go into the Hosting Centre for your selected site.
b.  Choose Manage Files and then use the Upload function to get your compressed file.

5.  Use the Unarchive function on GoDaddy's FTP interface to unzip the file.  When you are done, you should have a whole bunch of subfolders under the html folder.

6.  Give write permissions to the images directory.  Select the folder and then click ‘Permissions’. Select both read and write permissions for the folder.

7.  Activate the SQLServer database in your GoDaddy host account.
a.  Supply the name and password details for the database.  Be aware that whatever name you give GoDaddy as the database name will also be the default user name.
b.  There is some option for allowing remote access.  I went with it, although I don't recall seeing this last time.
b.  After the SQLServer database is setup (usually ~ 10 minutes) you can select the SQLServer Database Information panel to get into the database management console.
c.  Select the pencil icon to the right of the database name. This will give you a Database Information panel that lets you perform admin on your database. There is an icon at the top called Configuration. Click on this to get the connection string details for your database. You will need these for both the ConnectionString config in your application, and (if you use it) the database publishing parameter for loading your database using the SQLServer Database Publishing Tool.
d.  Copy the entry from the SQL connection (.NET) box.  Use the FTP Manager to edit your ConnectionStrings.config file (probably on page 5 of 12, if you are like me).  It should look something like this (replacing 'somepassword' with whatever your SQL password is, which you specified when you asked GoDaddy to make you an SQL database):

<connectionStrings>
<add name="NopSqlConnection" connectionString="Data Source=sbncdb.db.7666891.hostedresource.com; Initial Catalog=sbncdb; User ID=sbncdb; Password='somepassword';Connect Timeout=120"/>
</connectionStrings>

Step 8 OPTION #1 - Use SQL Scripts To Build a NopCommerce Database Directly On Your GoDaddy SQL Database
(this is what I did, although I did it wrong 1x and did have to start over - If that happens to you, I suggest you just delete the old database and make a new one)
a.  Go to your SQL database and click on Manage via Web Admin.  
NOTE:  If you are used to using SQL Management Studio, get ready to get frustrated.  It is good to be prepared.
b. Under the Tools folder, choose Query Analyzer.  We're going to load each SQL script that is used to create a NopCommerce SQL database.
c. Click on Open SQL file and navigate to nopCommerce_1.90_Source\NopCommerceStore\Install\Scripts.  Choose nopCommerce_createDatabase.sql.  Read this instruction again to make sure you picked the right one.  You can't run these out of order.  Well, you don't want to at any rate.
d. Once the SQL is loaded into the text box on the screen, press the 'Execute' button.
e. Repeat the previous 2 steps for the following scripts IN THIS ORDER:
\Install\Scripts\nopCommerce_createData.sql
\Install\Scripts\1.50\nopCommerce_upgrade.sql
\Install\Scripts\1.60\nopCommerce_upgrade.sql
\Install\Scripts\1.70\nopCommerce_upgrade.sql
\Install\Scripts\1.80\nopCommerce_upgrade.sql
\Install\Scripts\1.90\nopCommerce_upgrade.sql

I had one error for each of the 1.50 through 1.90 scripts.  My site seems to be working fine (although time will tell, I suppose).  If anyone has a clue as to why I got errors running untouched scripts, I'd like to hear about it.

Step 8 OPTION #2 - Use SQL Server Database Publishing Tool to Transfer your Local Database To Your GoDaddy SQL Database

NOTE: Since I didn't build the site locally before transferring it up to GoDaddy, I didn't use the SQL Server Database Publishing Tool to package up my database and send it to the host.  If you want to do that, here are MickeyP's instructions from a previous post.  The big advantage of building the site on your own PC is that you are sure your data is what you need it to be, and by then you are pretty invested in the data and want to transfer it up to your host.  So if that's what you did, follow these or MickyP's initial instructions from

https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/895/install-on-godaddy-there-has-to-be-a-simple-way.aspx

get the SQL tool from here

[code][code]"http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56E5B1C5-BF17-42E0-A410-371A838E570A&displaylang=en"

rel="nofollow">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56E5B1C5-BF17-42E0-A410-371A838E570A&displaylang=en

a.  You need the information from the host – server name and database name. The server name will be something like LMF.db.4427964.hostedresource.com
b.  You need to select the database from which to publish – make sure you don’t automatically select ‘Script All Options’.
c.  On the next screen, select all scripting options except ‘Full Text Indexing’
d.  Now for each of the next screens select all checkboxes.
e.  Important – on the screen titled ‘Select an Output Option’ choose ‘Publish to a Shared Hosting Environment’. You will need to configure a hosting provider – the data for this comes from your GoDaddy SQLServer configuration panel (see 6.c above). This will be something like https://p3nmssqlpub.secureserver.net. You will also need to put your GODaddy SQLServer details into the hosting provider config.
f.  When this is complete the local database will be uploaded to your GoDaddy database. This can take 15-20 minutes.

STEP 9:  Go to your site and revel in your ability to install software.  Go to bed because it is now 2AM and you probably have to work tomorrow.

Random Notes for GoDaddy Installs:
- I like Firefox, but I suggest Explorer when trying to get something done on GoDaddy.  Fewer problems and seemed swifter.

- One of the times I tried to make a database and then upgrade it I was pelted with unending errors.  I think I ran the upgrades before I ran the createData script.  Don't go like that.

- GoDaddy will ask for your Hosting password on occasion, and even will sometimes LIE AND TELL YOU THAT YOU ENTERED IT INCORRECTLY.  What makes this especially convenient (and by convenient please take me to mean monitor-punchingly-frustrating) is that there is no recourse.  No 'reset my password'.  And since I did enter it correctly (because I don't think RoboForm all of a sudden started jamming out typos), the site is both inaccurate and obnoxious.  And annoying.  If this happens to you, just log out and log back in to your main account.

Much credit to MickyP's initial post, which I followed for the 1st NopCommerce site I helped someone build back at 1.5 or 1.6.  When it came time to make another site, Microsoft's Express tools seemed light and I didn't feel like making the site on my own PC, so I used the more direct install method.

~Ed
13 years ago
Life saver :)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.