tls email configuration

3 months ago
Hello,
I'm trying to set up nopcommerce to send emails via the aws smtp server.
It requires TLS security and suggests a STARTTLS Port of 25,587 or 2587 and shows a TLS Wrapper Port of 465 or 2465.
Nopcommerce offes an SSL checkbox and a port setting, but no mention of TLS.
I've tried various combinations but it isn't sending the test email.
What is needed to make this work.

Thanks,
Rick
3 months ago
The error message being received is "The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: Authentication required"

The test email was sent to the smtp server using port 587  with the ssl checkbox checked.
The user is an email IAM user and the from email is a verified domain currently receiving emails in aws workmail.
3 months ago
Can you please make sure that your email account is configured to send emails via third party platform? You may need to disable two factor auth.

Best regards,
Atul
3 months ago
See if this helps
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57517582/authentication-required-smtpexception-trying-to-send-mail-from-ec2-instance
3 months ago
Problem solved .
The first step was I had to open EC2 SMTP/TLS ports through the firewall, which were closed by default.  However, my credentials were still failing authentication and not for the reasons often suggested, because they were SES created credentials, specifically for SMTP.

Most of my services are in East Region 2 and that is where I created the SES SMTP credentials.  However, workmail (email) is not offered in Region 2 so my workmail is in East Region 1.  I created SES credentials in Region 1 and changed the smpt host to region 1 and they were authenticated and my email went through.  I didn't test to see if just changing the host to region 1 would have worked.

Bug Issues/Suggestion:  
1) Nop's data entry screen for changing these settings is confusing.  The password shows blank after save and it isn't clear whether it is set or not.  How about showing ***... even if read only.  Also not clear why there has to be a separate save button for the password.
2) Tried adding a user in the Admin panel.  The add screen fills with an existing users data, not cleared out.  Very awkward.
3 months ago
_rick wrote:

Bug Issues/Suggestion:  
1) Nop's data entry screen for changing these settings is confusing.  The password shows blank after save and it isn't clear whether it is set or not.  How about showing ***... even if read only.  Also not clear why there has to be a separate save button for the password.
2) Tried adding a user in the Admin panel.  The add screen fills with an existing users data, not cleared out.  Very awkward.

1. Separate buttons are there to avoid accidentally changing a password when saving configuration. Maybe using * to hide it is a good idea, thanks.
2. It's probably your browser filling all in the user fields. Try disabling this feature or try in incognito mode.
3 months ago
Maksim,
FYI:
1) in general settings I've unchecked showing 'My account' in the footer, yet it still displays.
2) Just about everything else has a setting, but I see no setting to hide 'Customer Service' in the footer.  It would be helpful to have one.
Thanks,
Rick
3 months ago
Hi Maxim,

I also believe that the email configuration needs more better UI / UX and a new way to configure and authenticate email accounts that should be more secure.

Best regards,
Atul
2 months ago
nopAdvance.com wrote:

I also believe that the email configuration needs more better UI / UX and a new way to configure and authenticate email accounts that should be more secure.

We've improved the email configuration UI as part of this issue.
2 months ago
RomanovM wrote:

We've improved the email configuration UI as part of this issue.

That’s awesome!
Thank you for sharing this information here :)

Best regards,
Atul