Hosting Requirements??? Shared vs Dedicated???

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
I have been looking all over the internet to find hosting companies options other than the ones listed on your site.  It appears that based on the described 'requirements' listed in the installation documentation, the concern of the hosting companies is the requirement of "Memory: 1024 MB or higher," stating they suspect this will be too high of a memory user to operate on a shared hosting plan and they are suggesting it may need a dedicated hosting plan, which of course is quite a bit more expensive.  Can someone tell me what kind of memory it uses in actual operation so the host company can determine if I can use shared hosting or if I need a dedicated hosting plan?
Thanks.
14 years ago
You should look at bandwith.  I have a shared unlimited windows hosting account with http://arrobasites.com which cost me $0 in set up, 29.99 a year for 256-bit ssl that comes with dedicated ip address, and I paid a little over $100 for the actual hosting for 12 months, but they have an option to pay monthly and it comes out to around 12.00.  The windows hosting comes with IIS 6 or 7 php 4 or 5 on the iis7 unlimited mysql with database backup/restore, ms sql with db backup/restore/database publishing wizard, ms access, and direct database access, you can also upload to ftp over and ssl cert (ftps), you can host unlimited websites, and have unlimited subdomains, they support, asp, asp.net v1,2,3, and 3.5, asp.net ajax, ssi, and cold fusion.  It comes with 24/7 tech support.  They have 50 free addon apps that are already intergrated so basically you just have to click install, ex. joomla, wordpress, dotnetnuke 4.0, tandem server, drupal, moodle, etc.  They have zen cart but nopcommerce is 1000 times more user friendly.  They also give you $75 credits with google adwords and microsoft ad center even if you only pay per month and there is no contract.  There customer support is awesome as well.  Anyway, check out their windows shared hosting plans but you do not need a ded server or even a virtual ded server.
14 years ago
I forgot to post an article they have in their help center:

Bandwidth is a measurement of the amount of data allowed to pass between a user’s Web site and the rest of the Internet.

For example, if your Web site—hosted on a 2GB/month Deluxe hosting account—contains a 1MB picture, that picture can be viewed 2000 times before you exceed the 2,000MB (2GB) limit. You are responsible for ensuring excessive loading does not occur on the DNS or hosting servers. Exceeding your allotted monthly bandwidth results in overloading and will incur an additional charge. Thus, if visitor number 2001 wants to view the same picture, you will be assessed any and all fees, costs, and penalties resulting from the overloading. Failure to pay such bandwidth charges may result in site redirection.

In general, if you have a commercial site or a site that generates a lot of traffic, you should consider getting additional bandwidth. If you have a basic, personal site that you have set up for friends and family, you probably do not need to order additional bandwidth.

I also found this coupon codes in an email

15% off of $100 or more Bandwidth is a measurement of the amount of data allowed to pass between a user’s Web site and the rest of the Internet.

For example, if your Web site—hosted on a 2GB/month Deluxe hosting account—contains a 1MB picture, that picture can be viewed 2000 times before you exceed the 2,000MB (2GB) limit. You are responsible for ensuring excessive loading does not occur on the DNS or hosting servers. Exceeding your allotted monthly bandwidth results in overloading and will incur an additional charge. Thus, if visitor number 2001 wants to view the same picture, you will be assessed any and all fees, costs, and penalties resulting from the overloading. Failure to pay such bandwidth charges may result in site redirection.

In general, if you have a commercial site or a site that generates a lot of traffic, you should consider getting additional bandwidth. If you have a basic, personal site that you have set up for friends and family, you probably do not need to order additional bandwidth.

I also found these coupon codes

15% off $100 or more 100CN15

10% off $50 or more 50CN10

5% off of $25 or more 5NC25
14 years ago
So, can you tell me how much "bandwidth" nopCommerce requires?  I know it states it needs a lot of ram - is that considered 'bandwidth?"  Is bandwidth the same as monthly data transfer?
Do you know where this company's servers are located?
Are they owned by the company or are they operating from within a reseller account?
14 years ago
It's not so much how much bandwidth nopCommerce requires but how much YOUR site requires.

How many products will your site have, images, downloads, number of visitors for a given time, number of hits, etc.

Cannot answer your other questions.
14 years ago
The below definitions are from their glossary

Bandwidth
The Bandwidth is the capacity of a site or connection to carry information. Bandwidth plays an important role in how many visitors can download a site at a time with efficiency.

Data transfer
Data transfer is the amount of data transferred from an account as site viewers visit pages on the website. Sites with an abundance of audio, video and images that generates a large amount of traffic should consider selecting a hosting plan and provider that allows for a high range of data transfer.

There a few different name servers that I found on my account depending on where I am hosting but, hosting with them my nameservers are

NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS52.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

The nameservers are owned and maintained by GoDaddy it looks like. I was with Google before and later found out that they are a reseller of GoDaddy.  I guess it just comes down to comparing prices between sites in this situation.
14 years ago
businesswoman

Maybe if you post what your web will be all about and number of products you plan to have, someone here maybe able to make some suggestions.

Unless you are very familiar with setting up and running an asp.net website (or have someone do the installation for you), read some of the comments in these forums related to GoDaddy.
14 years ago
Thanks for all the feedback.  I have been researching the information given.  I sell home decor items using about 50 different suppliers with anywhere between 100-500 products each.  I don't plan on adding them all, but want the ability to have at least 1500 products, each with at least 1 image and some may require 2 or 3 - the bigger the better, because customers need to see detailing on some items.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.