how will we upgrade from current 1.3 to 1.X or 2.X or X.X?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
is there any way to upgrade especially the source code integration?
i am developing a online store using Nopcom with my own master pages, css, i also create my new modules, made changes on DB tables.
if new version releases, i have to go through the new version and compare source code and decide which function i need and which i don't, i believe this is a tough job and might takes time to get it done.
any one got any ideas?
14 years ago
I'm going to face the same problem.
14 years ago
"if new version releases, i have to go through the new version and compare source code and decide which function i need and which i don't, i believe this is a tough job and might takes time to get it done."

That's the only way to upgrade once you have customized you site.

Don't now any other way. Yes a lot of work but you got a free cart to start with which has saved you tons and tons of hours!

You can always purchase a cart but even then, you'll end up doing the same thing once you modify or add your code.
14 years ago
You need to prepare by creating a diff script for your database changes, being able to apply your db changes to the current version with a single diff script will allow you to migrate those changes easily to the new version, though of course there will be minor manual intervention to ensure compatibility. I use SQL Examiner Suite to make diff scripts.

Have your theme in its own folder in the web solution. Don't modify an existing theme for use, instead copy the theme you want to use as a base and give it an appropriate name.

Use software like ExamDiff Pro to quickly catalogue all your changes compared to the current 1.30 release. You will be able to use the features of ExamDiff Pro to merge your custom changes with future releases of nopCommerce, as with the database changes there will be some minor manual intervention to ensure compatibility.

If you find that you need to alter the nopCommerce projects as well as the web project then pause for a moment and consider the possibility of creating your own project to the solution. You can call existing functionality from the nopCommerce projects as required, but all your custom methods can be kept distinctly separate in your own project. When a new release of nopCommerce comes out simply link in your existing project and ensure any necessary references are in place. What I'm saying is that if you want an easy life when migrating between versions, make sure you don't alter the base nopCommerce projects.

Doing all of the above is extra work, but it's easy work. A lot easier than not doing it and having to pick through a tonne of code whenever a new version of nopCommerce is released!
14 years ago
What is the best method of integrating my site to use nopcommerce. In version 1.1 I added my directories under the NOPCOMMERCEWEB site. I added my master pages and themes and so forth. I also used Subsonic as an ORM inorder to grab Customer info. So I leverage NOP's customer registry and login (so my users don't have to log in twice, once to use my web services and another if they want to buy something). Now I would like to upgrade to 1.3 and have tried to test some of my custom pages and leverage the Subsonic DAL but it's rife with errors and just looks too daunting at this stage...Is it possible?
14 years ago
Ahhh, never mind, I just realized that NOPCommerceStore is setup as a project and not a website as it was way back when I worked with it.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.