Shipping cost by weight brackets

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
Hi, I would like to offer shipping based on product weight, with a set price per bracket.
Eg. 500g to 1kg = $7.50.

I found a similar request here:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/Boards/Topic.aspx?TopicID=1889
But there was no reply.

Is there a way to calculate by weight, and not by price/kg?
14 years ago
go to
configuration-->shipping-->shipping rate computation

select shipping by order weight (click edit button)

create your shipping weight calculations here -

click 'add new'

you can add as many as you need. you can set price by weight or by percentage og subtotal if you like

eg 0g to .500g = $7.50

next 1

500g to 600g = $5.00

________
:: EDIT ::

okay, so i am looking at the shipping by weight option for the first time and i see that it is a million miles from practical and does not at all work as i thought it would / should

EDIT

configurable  since   v1.5  

in admin

configuration-->all settings

go to page 8

edit setting
ShippingByWeight.CalculatePerWeightUnit       -->    set to false
ShippingByWeightAndCountry.CalculatePerWeightUnit     -->     set to false
14 years ago
in the cart documentation, shipping by weight is said to be calculated like so (and i quote) :

If you decide to use matrix by weight, you will set up weight brackets and how much shipping will cost if the shipment falls within that bracket. For example: 1 pound up to 5 pounds will cost $3.00, 6 pounds up to 12 pounds will cost $8.00. You can set up multiple shipping fees depending on the shipping methods. Using the first weight bracket above, 1 pound up to 5 pounds will cost $3.00 using Ground and 1 pound up to 5 pounds will cost $18.00 using Next Day.

This seems to be exactly the right thing for the job.

BUT  this is not how it is done by the cart, rather, an item bracket is set at  'Charge amount per kg(s)' rather than simply 'Charge amount'

so,

if i set a charge bracket at £3.00  for cart contents weighing between 0g and 500g

and add an item to the cart which weighs 100g - i would expect (and want !) the postage charge to be £3.00 (as the documentation states it should be)

but instead, the 'Charge amount per kg(s)' calaculates it proportionally and returns a postage

cost of only £ 0.30     -  no wonder others have been having difficulty.
14 years ago
This is how it works now:

If you decide to use matrix by weight, you will set up weight brackets and how much shipping will cost if the shipment falls within that bracket. For example: 1 pound up to 5 pounds will cost $3.00 per kg, 6 pounds up to 12 pounds will cost $8.00 per kg. You can set up multiple shipping fees depending on the shipping methods. Using the first weight bracket above, 1 pound up to 5 pounds will cost $3.00 per kg using Ground and 1 pound up to 5 pounds will cost $18.00 per kg using Next Day.
14 years ago
andrei,

i do understand how the matrix works, and some shipping companies may charge based on exact weight but i know in the uk, the royal mail charges in the following way:

1)  0-100g        £1.28
2)  101-250g    £1.62
3)  251-500g    £2.14
4)  501-750g    £2.65
5)  751-1000g   £3.25
6)  1001-1250g  £4.45
7)  1251-1500g  £5.15
8)  1501-1750g  £5.85
9) 1751-2000g    £6.55
10)  2001-4000g  £8.22

Ideally, i would be able to set up shipping so that if item weight  is 30g or even 100g the shipping price will be £1.28 in both cases - i could set up all the above weight brackets. With the current matrix, ( with a price per kg set at £12.80 between 0g and 100g ),   a 30g item would show shipping at £0.38 (which would not cover the cost of shipping) but an item weighing 100g would show shipping cost of £1.28 - (just what i would want)

So, while i think the current matrix configuration is of use in certain situations, i also think a method to suit the above scenario would also be very practical. I think there is space for the two methods.

thanks, hayden
14 years ago
Here's what you do now:
1. Open source code for your shipping method (Nop.Shipping.ShippingByWeight.ShippingByWeightComputationMethod.cs or Nop.Shipping.ShippingByWeightAndCountry.ShippingByWeightAndCountryComputationMethod.cs)
2. Find and replace:
shippingTotal = shippingByWeight.ShippingChargeAmount * Weight;
shippingTotal = shippingByWeightAndCountry.ShippingChargeAmount * weight;

with
shippingTotal = shippingByWeight.ShippingChargeAmount
shippingTotal = shippingByWeightAndCountry.ShippingChargeAmount
14 years ago
This solution and similarly releated ones are also explained in these threads -

Shipping By Country & Weight - https://www.nopcommerce.com/Boards/Topic.aspx?TopicID=1890

Shipping By Weight - https://www.nopcommerce.com/Boards/Topic.aspx?TopicID=1441
14 years ago
such a simple change and works perfectly !!

thank you guys
14 years ago
Having made this change in a previous version I find that I need to remember to make the changes each time a new version is released.  Finding this a little painful.  Is there a reason this cannot be simply included in the build as another shipping module?

Also, I have had to make some changes to the header menu to direct the store back to my main site.  Can the functionality to add links / menu items onto the standard be included in a future version?

Paul
14 years ago
Having made this change in a previous version I find that I need to remember to make the changes each time a new version is released.  Finding this a little painful.  Is there a reason this cannot be simply included in the build as another shipping module?

I second that... I don't think it is too difficult to add this in the next release.

Thanks!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.