Azure vs Hosted VPS

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
10 years ago
GreatAdventure.ca wrote:

Using Filezilla to push and pull files.

Hi Beauzero, you may want to check out Webmatrix 3.0. I used this to upload a plugin to my Azure test site and it worked very well.

Maybe we should ask Andrei to set up a separate Forum Topic dedicated to Azure as there seems to be increasing interest in Azure.

which plan r u using?
10 years ago
prodev42 wrote:

which plan r u using?

I'm currently using the website option in the free mode, but plan to move to standard, once complete. I too are very early with this project, and am trying to gain a better understanding of Azure, and its ability to host NopCommerce.
10 years ago
GreatAdventure.ca wrote:

which plan r u using?

I'm currently using the website option in the free mode, but plan to move to standard, once complete. I too are very early with this project, and am trying to gain a better understanding of Azure, and its ability to host NopCommerce.

did you figure out the best way to upload asp.net mvc project and database from local machine over to azure yet?
10 years ago
prodev42 wrote:

did you figure out the best way to upload asp.net mvc project and database from local machine over to azure yet?

Sorry I don't know. I pulled it from the library like beauzoo did. You may want to check out Webmatrix though. I don't know if it would work or not.
10 years ago
I just checked...currently running "Free" plan.  Will convert to Standard as well when ready to go "live".
I just pulled down the website...deleted it...created a new one and moved it to "East US".  Getting a little bit better performance and reduced spin-up time.

To move my website...
1.  You cannot "move" a website from one geographical location to the next.  Must delete and recreate.
2.  Downloaded the files using Filezilla.  To find ftp click on website name > "Dashboard" tab...ftp sites and credentials run down the right hand side.
3.  Look for "Deployment / FTP user" ...if this isn't filled in (won't be by default)...then you need to create one.  Should be under "Quick Glance" on the right hand side.
4.  Download everything under the site\wwwroot directory.
5.  Delete the website (note all of your passwords)...NOT the linked sql server instance though...unless you need to move that too.  I am moving mine separately to see if/how that works using "Export".
6.  Recreate the website (use the same name as before)...DO NOT DELETE the "linked" database...it will stay linked because you really aren't changing anything other than the physical location.
7.  Upload the files again to the site\wwwroot" directory.  My ftp link may not have stayed the same buy my username and password definitely DID stay the same.

To Find the "Plan" you are on...
1.  Click on the website ->
2.  In the tabs on the top click on "SCALE"
...this should show you the options "FREE", "SHARED", and "STANDARD"
...and your capacity/instances.

...now to move the db.
*NOTE:  The only website options for geographical storage are "North Europe", "North Central US", "West US", "East US", "East Asia"...the list is different for SQL instances.  I really need mine to be in the same geographical location so that I can reduce bandwidth usage when the website queries the db.
**NOTE: In website > CONFIGURE > "general" turn PHP version to "OFF" ...I have no proof but this seems to speed up my instance marginally.
10 years ago
beauzero wrote:

do you think it's easy export asp.net mvc project file and db from local machine to cloud?
my situation is I have the project and db on local machine and need to migrate to azure
10 years ago
Yes...website is pretty straight forward (just set up a blank website in Azure...copy compiled website up).  You will just have to change the website\App_Data\Settings.txt database connection to point to the new instance in Azure.

You can use SqlPackage.exe (link to docs) to extract the .bacpac file you need to move up to your "Storage" area to import in Azure.  I am not exactly sure what the process is because I have only moved it around in Azure.  Good luck keep us posted on how you do it.

I put the Moving an Azure Database write up here.
10 years ago
beauzero wrote:
Yes...website is pretty straight forward (just set up a blank website in Azure...copy compiled website up).  You will just have to change the website\App_Data\Settings.txt database connection to point to the new instance in Azure.

You can use SqlPackage.exe (link to docs) to extract the .bacpac file you need to move up to your "Storage" area to import in Azure.  I am not exactly sure what the process is because I have only moved it around in Azure.  Good luck keep us posted on how you do it.

I put the Moving an Azure Database write up here.

Thank you for sharing these details, I'm about to try Azure for hosting nopCommerce.
10 years ago
Neither.  I am currently using the "free" account.
10 years ago
Update: Speed issue addressed.

I have "unpublished" all of the Countries that we will not sell to.  This made a HUGE difference in performance.  Currently the only country I have published is the "United States".  Load time is now almost instant.  Will update as I move further in.  Still just using the "free" plan on Azure that comes with MSDN license ($50 free per month).
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.