EF Attempting to Insert into Identity Field of Custom Entity

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
10 years ago
Hi,

I have created a custom entity, following the basic steps as outlined to me in various posts, through adding the class to Nop.Core.Domain, adding the entity map to Nop.Data.Mapping, adding a new service, and finally developing the UI.

Where I am currently stuck at is INSERTING a record.  I am getting the follwing error:

Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table 'ReorderReminder' when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF

I know this error is due to an attempt to insert an explicit value into the Id field on the table, which is defined as INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL.

I cannot work out how to address this in the code.  As far as I can see my custom entity is the same as the core ones.  It inherits BaseEntity.  The map identifies the Id as the key:

public ReorderReminderMap()
        {
            this.ToTable("ReorderReminder");
            this.HasKey(reminder => reminder.Id);

I must be missing a step somewhere, but I can't work out where.

Can anyone help..??
10 years ago
TDSnet wrote:
Hi,

I have created a custom entity, following the basic steps as outlined to me in various posts, through adding the class to Nop.Core.Domain, adding the entity map to Nop.Data.Mapping, adding a new service, and finally developing the UI.

Where I am currently stuck at is INSERTING a record.  I am getting the follwing error:

Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table 'ReorderReminder' when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF

I know this error is due to an attempt to insert an explicit value into the Id field on the table, which is defined as INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL.

I cannot work out how to address this in the code.  As far as I can see my custom entity is the same as the core ones.  It inherits BaseEntity.  The map identifies the Id as the key:

public ReorderReminderMap()
        {
            this.ToTable("ReorderReminder");
            this.HasKey(reminder => reminder.Id);

I must be missing a step somewhere, but I can't work out where.

Can anyone help..??

Did you accidentally assigned a value to ReorderReminder when doing the Insert?
10 years ago
It says: " when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF". Have you tried setting it off?:
SET IDENTITY_INSERT tablename ON
10 years ago
carlosmartinezt wrote:

Don't think this is the correct way to do. If you set IDENTITY_INSERT to ON, it means the value will not be auto-generated (or auto-incremented).
10 years ago
Thanks guys, but perhaps I didn't explain clearly.  I don't WANT to insert an explicit value in the identity column, I want SQL to assign it as per standard behaviour.  My issue was that EF was generating a value for that column in it's insert statement.

Regardless, the issue turned out to be a by-product of my lack of knowledge of the code first approach to EF.  I had a couple of issues in my entity and mapping classes.  The way I identified the issues was by reverse engineering the classes from the database using the EF Power Tools plugin, and comparing them to what I had in my Nop solution.

All fixed..!!
4 years ago
carlosmartinezt wrote:

It's amasing stupid answer
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.