Shopify vs. NOP

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
was wondering if anyone has compared Shopify to NOP, and if so decided to move from Shopify to NOP? let me know and advise to your opinion, thank you
8 years ago
It depends on what you want. If you’re a basic computer numpty, than you should use Shopify. If you actually know what you’re doing, than you’ll find Nop is faster, easier and gives you a lot more control.
8 years ago
Please have a look at the following articles: Why choose nopCommerce and Should I start from scratch or use nopCommerce?
8 years ago
am numpty; however have a team working; will read articles and revert, TY to you both!
8 years ago
There are a few notable differences between Shopify and nopCommerce which could make you switch to nopCommerce.

1. Shopify does not support multiple languages (you need an app for this).

2. Shopify does not allow more than two attributes per product (you need an app for this too).

3. There is no multi-store, multi-vendor support.

4. Shopify take a percentage for every sale made trough your website.

I would not go on and list every feature that nopCommerce has and Shopify does not. But the reality is that there are quite a lot of functionalities for Shopify available as apps. The drawback to this is that they cost an additional monthly fee. So when you start building your store you can easily end-up paying a few hundred dollars per month.

Also Shopify are like Facebook: there is no road-map, no feature or bug requests on the forums are being paid any attention to and have any priority to them. So if something does not work for you do not expect them to fix it, at least not in the near future.

With nopCommerce you have no guarantee either as far as features are concerned. But you can count that bugs will be fixed in the next release. Regarding new features that you might need, nopCommerce is open source. So even if you are not technical you can always hire a third party developer to add the features for you.

I hope this is useful!
8 years ago
Nop-Templates.com wrote:
There are a few notable differences between Shopify and nopCommerce which could make you switch to nopCommerce.

1. Shopify does not support multiple languages (you need an app for this).

2. Shopify does not allow more than two attributes per product (you need an app for this too).

3. There is no multi-store, multi-vendor support.

4. Shopify take a percentage for every sale made trough your website.

I would not go on and list every feature that nopCommerce has and Shopify does not. But the reality is that there are quite a lot of functionalities for Shopify available as apps. The drawback to this is that they cost an additional monthly fee. So when you start building your store you can easily end-up paying a few hundred dollars per month.

Also Shopify are like Facebook: there is no road-map, no feature or bug requests on the forums are being paid any attention to and have any priority to them. So if something does not work for you do not expect them to fix it, at least not in the near future.

With nopCommerce you have no guarantee either as far as features are concerned. But you can count that bugs will be fixed in the next release. Regarding new features that you might need, nopCommerce is open source. So even if you are not technical you can always hire a third party developer to add the features for you.

I hope this is useful!

I agree with answer from Nop-Templates.com
8 years ago
And, besides the percentage they retain on every order, they charge a monthly fee which varies from $9 up to $179
8 years ago
at the moment i think the biggest difference is this support forum and the responses! love it, TY!
8 years ago
Jadelina wrote:
It depends on what you want. If you’re a basic computer numpty, than you should use Shopify. If you actually know what you’re doing, than you’ll find Nop is faster, easier and gives you a lot more control.

I would phrase this a little differently.

If your a basic computer numpty, (who knows about ecommerce, sales and marketing, and your goal is to make money rather than program) then you should use shopify.

If you actually know what you're doing (as a programmer), then you'll find NOP is faster, easier and gives you a lot more control (as a programmer, it also gives you a TON of responsibility of things you will have to monitor, update, fix, renew, correct, patch, troubleshoot etc).

Keep in mind, if you ever want to be successful with e-commerce, coding, will most likely not be part of your daily routine.  Successful eCommerce people focus primarily on Sales, Marketing and bottom line profit, that is the core of your day, if you're spending you time fixing something with your code your neglecting another part of your business.

NopCommerce is definitely a a cool tool for programmers, and certainly you can customize NOP to do just about anything but, you need to either have a programming department which will undoubtedly cost far more than Shopify or almost any hosted platforms most expensive plan, or you're going to have to spend your time doing all the backend stuff and less time focusing on the most important part of your business, driving sales.

I know alot of pro nop people (who are programmers) tout the things that nop is capable of, which is everything since you can obviously custom program anything, which is great an all, but in the real world how many big NopCommerce sites are there that do NOT have their own programming department? Vs. how many multi million dollar websites are out there that were started by grandmas, stay at home moms, and high school drop outs and just general people with no programming experience??   There's a bunch.
8 years ago
CaseyW wrote:
but in the real world how many big NopCommerce sites are there that do NOT have their own programming department? Vs. how many multi million dollar websites are out there that were started by grandmas, stay at home moms, and high school drop outs and just general people with no programming experience??   There's a bunch.

I'm willing to bet only a few nopCommerce stores have actual programming departments.

Many developers use nopCommerce as a way to get a customer's ecommerce site up and running quickly, keeping the customers' cost down.  So, what you'd pay in only a year (in many cases less) to Shopify you can essentially pay to a developer one time, and only worry about hosting after that, saving you gobs of money years down the line.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.