RunOnAzureWebsites

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
Hi,

I have some troubles with the "RunOnAzureWebsites" settings. In the explanations and documentation it says "...if you run on Windows Azure Web sites (not cloud services)...". The problem is that Azure Web sites doesn't exist anymore. It is now called Azure Webapp and it is an app service. So, is it still an Azure Website or is it a cloud service? Should I use the setting or not?

Greetings
/Johan Davidsson
7 years ago
johandavidson wrote:
Hi,

I have some troubles with the "RunOnAzureWebsites" settings. In the explanations and documentation it says "...if you run on Windows Azure Web sites (not cloud services)...". The problem is that Azure Web sites doesn't exist anymore. It is now called Azure Webapp and it is an app service. So, is it still an Azure Website or is it a cloud service? Should I use the setting or not?

Greetings
/Johan Davidsson

Hi Johan, did you figure this out?

Thanks,
Shawn
7 years ago
Azure Websites is now called Azure Web App Service.  It is essentially the same for your purposes.  It is a PaaS solution.

If you are using Azure Web App and multiple instances, enable it.
7 years ago
I thought it might be useful to explain what the difference actually is.

When you change the setting and restart, the decision to register either AzureWebsitesMachineNameProvider or DefaultMachineNameProvider is made.

The classes differ slightly.  The Azure one detects the machine name from an environment variable called WEBSITE_INSTANCE_ID whereas the normal provider uses Environment.MachineName.

It is only used for scheduled tasks and really only required if you run multiple instances.  It ensures that a task is not run on multiple nodes at the same time.
7 years ago
Sorry for the late reply. I've just renamed it (please see this commit). Thanks a lot for pointing out!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.