Forums need a little work...

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
5 years ago
So I've been noticing a trend lately of idiots posting spam on the forums here. I don't know if they're bots or if a person is actually posting this garbage, but why is Captcha not available on the forums?

Also, it would be nice if the forums supported a feature that if a post is down-voted enough (how much is enough?) then that post disappears. Also, if a poster is down-voted enough (again-how much?) they lose the rights to post. If the forums worked this way, the users could keep the forums clean just by down-voting obvious garbage.
5 years ago
Hi Barry,

You are right. Receiving emails with spams from nopCommerce forum are really disturbing sometimes and especially when you try to be little more active on forums.

Regarding voting in nopCommerce, I would suggest to follow MVC forum guidelines.

Recently a lot of my posts were down voted only because our competitors did not liked us active on forum and also because we were linking to our nopCommerce profile in signature.

This was really frustrating :(

Thank you,
Atul
5 years ago
I agree.

While you’re there also it would be good to have option to select the version the post relates to via a drop down, as this often a question when people are trying to help. You could also have this as an option for the search

I also think sometimes it would be better to reverse the order – or there is a tick box at the top of the post to reverse it - I mean if you want to see that latest post sometimes you need to click the forum item - then click the last post - then scroll down to the bottom – when reversing the order would make the last post at the top.
5 years ago
bfranklin825 wrote:
but why is Captcha not available on the forums?

I suppose it would be very annoying to get captcha each time. Registration should have. Also new members could have some limitations like ability to create up to 3 posts each 24 hours for example.

bfranklin825 wrote:
Also, it would be nice if the forums supported a feature that if a post is down-voted enough (how much is enough?) then that post disappears. Also, if a poster is down-voted enough (again-how much?) they lose the rights to post.

It will not work, why? Look at post below yours:

nopAdvance wrote:
Recently a lot of my posts were down voted only because our competitors did not liked us active on forum and also because we were linking to our nopCommerce profile in signature.

If someone will down vote any post to be only hide, this will cause new kind of war between vendors. Much better will be button with report to nopTeam members. They could get notification and do quick action. Simply and clean solution.

Yidna wrote:
it would be better to reverse the order (...) when reversing the order would make the last post at the top.

Not each like this, to got reverse order. But agree, if there are few pages, you need to indicate more steps. Maybe better it would be to show all unread posts from last visit. Clicking at the name of topic will move to last posts.

Regards,
Tom
5 years ago
nop4you wrote:
I suppose it would be very annoying to get captcha each time. Registration should have. Also new members could have some limitations like ability to create up to 3 posts each 24 hours for example.

If Captcha is just a click to say "I am human" then it is not a big deal at all. If it is the kind where you have to pick every picture of a sign or write a word you can barely make out, then yes it would be annoying.

It should be on registration for sure.
5 years ago
bfranklin825 wrote:
If Captcha is just a click to say "I am human" then it is not a big deal at all. If it is the kind where you have to pick every picture of a sign or write a word you can barely make out, then yes it would be annoying.

reCaptcha by default allow to click only "I`m human" if you are logged to your google account, and do not made many requests. From specific number will display pictures. But maybe another solution could be implemented. There is no only reCaptcha available :).

Tom
5 years ago
for your information: (i was astonished some years ago to learn that such a service really exists)

There are many human-powered captcha solving services available in the internet (for such a low rate as 0.5-0.8 USD/thousand captchas)  Most of them have a regular HTTP REST API interface, with 5-6 sec execution time, and the processor is a miserable human sitting somewhere behind a monitor, (I was wondering what a shit job is it…)

So I would not be surprised if they could get around any captcha easily especially with a valuable target (= a forum with many visitors)   And it is also possible that a real human does these postings manually.

I would rather suggest to look for some typical characteristics in the posted spam (e.g we, normal users never post our phone numbers, even such a trivial filter could work, I think), or even temporarily blocking some IP addresses or a whole subnet would be useful, I think this spam-wave is coming from the same source.
5 years ago
So much spam on the Forums - Does not look good - and is painful ???

1. one thing you could do is restrict the number of new forum topics that a user can create with in a time period.

I mean if someone is starting a whole bunch of new forum topics with in 30 minutes then they must be a spammer. One new topic per 30 minutes should be more that sufficient.

Replies are different which can come more quickly and so no need to limit those.

2. Another thing is forum topic - can not be the same as a previous forum topic
If it is the same then display the previous form and error message - this topic already exists
5 years ago
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/52547/forum-add-an-option-to-mark-post-as-spam.aspx
5 years ago
Again on SPAM.. Looks like I am worried and spamming the posts about spam here..

Someone please do something before I start not watching topics..
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.