How To Import Data Via XML/Excel?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hi,

How to import data from XML file or Excel as you write into features?
I don't found any in backend.

Thank you
13 years ago
This is what i did for importing records. It is very basic but something to start with.
I did a product export of the default install of nop which gives you an excel worksheet named "Products" with a dozen or so products.
I created a new workseet named "Defaults"
I then copied the first and second rows from "Products" worksheet to the "Defaults" worksheet which gave me the title row and one product row.
Deleted all rows except the first title row in worksheet "Products".

Since i already have a SQL 2000 database with 1400 products in it, i used SQL DTS or Export wizard to export those products to the same excel file that contains the above two worksheets. This created a new worksheet called "Items" or whatever your table name is.

From the developer toolbar in excel, open VB editor.
Then it is simply writing each field to the "Products" worksheet from "Items" worksheet and in case there is no field that is similar, write that field from the "Defaults" worksheet...

Public Sub CopyData()
    Dim shtItems As Worksheet
    Set shtItems = Sheets("Items") 'ref Items WS
    Dim shtProducts As Worksheet
    Set shtProducts = Sheets("Products") 'ref Products WS
    Dim shtDefaults As Worksheet
    Set shtDefaults = Sheets("Defaults") 'ref Defaults WS
    Dim TotalRows, x, txtDesc
    TotalRows = shtItems.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Row   'get the number of rows in the exported items WS

For x = 2 To TotalRows Step 1   ' starting in second row after title row
    shtProducts.Range("A" & x).Value = shtItems.Range("C" & x).Value     ' Copy Name from ItemID in Items WS
    shtProducts.Range("B" & x).Value = shtItems.Range("D" & x).Value     ' Copy ShortDescription from ItemName
    shtProducts.Range("C" & x).Value = shtItems.Range("E" & x).Value     ' Copy FullDescription from ItemDescription
    shtProducts.Range("D" & x).Value = shtDefaults.Range("D2").Value     ' Copy ProdTypeID from defaults since their is nothing in items that matches
    shtProducts.Range("E" & x).Value = shtDefaults.Range("E2").Value     ' Copy TemplateId from defaults etc
  '   the rest is similar to above depending on what fields you have that transfer to nop fields, otherwise use a nop default
    shtProducts.Range("BB" & x).Value = shtDefaults.Range("BB2").Value   ' Copy CreatedOn from defaults
  Next x
End Sub

Import the excel file into nop...

The above is very basic and most will want to do it another way depending on the source of your unique products, but this at least gets descriptions, prices, etc imported. Also this is only the second time i have played with excel so if there is a better way in excel please speak up.
13 years ago
So, Import is made from SQL Manager and is not out of the box feature.
And for variations?
13 years ago
Hi There,

There is an 'out of the box' Excel Import/Export feature at:   Home   >   Catalog   >   Products   >   Manage Products  

Download some products from the demo database to get a spreadsheet in the right format.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.