Migration to another server

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
5 years ago
Hi,

I want to move my nopcommerce site to another machine but I dont want to lose everything.
How can I do that? Is there any migration guide for NOP Commerce?

Thanks in advance
5 years ago
Source Server
1. Export your database as sql.
2. Zip your entire site files from the website root.

Destination Server
1. Create the database. Note the server details, database name, username and password.
2. Import the sql in the sql server.
3. Extract the zip files in your new server's website root.
4. Look for file Settings.txt (<4.0) or dataSettings.json (>4.0) in your App_Data directory, search for the connection string and modify it to match the ones noted in step 1.
5. Check if everything is working well.

Hope that helps.
Best Regards,
Anshul
5 years ago
Thanks for your reply.

"Export your database as sql"

Can you give more details of what you mean please?
5 years ago
I don't agree with "Export your database as sql", unless you are downgrading your version of SQL Server.  It is better/faster to do a Backup and Restore of the database.
5 years ago
New York wrote:
I don't agree with "Export your database as sql", unless you are downgrading your version of SQL Server.  It is better/faster to do a Backup and Restore of the database.

You are right. But because I don't know where the destination server is (and whether it's is VPS, Dedicated or Shared Hosting), I try to suggest an approach that works across. Because many shared hosting providers don't allow to restore database. They require to create new Database. That's why the sql approach.

BTW if the database is huge, it's better to find other ways that SQL like the one you suggested.

Best Regards,
Anshul
4 years ago
OK So I follow the procedure above.
Now I have no graphics because the Source server
(C:\Inetpub\vhosts\domain.com\httpdocs\content\images\thumbs\saleitem.jpg) stores the graphics on a different path than the NEW server.
(h:\root\home\domain\www\nopcart\content\images\thumbs\saleitem.jpg)
How do I get the graphics to show up on the web pages. How do I map the graphics from the Source Server to the New Server? they are not the same paths!
4 years ago
Thumbs get automatically generated if not present.
Where where you storing images in your old system  (based on Settings)- in the database or the file system?
4 years ago
I stored them in the File System. I download an Excel sheet of the Products and under Picture1 I have the paths to the graphic files. That is my problem The Old server and the New server paths do not match.
Old Server File Path:
(C:\Inetpub\vhosts\domain.com\httpdocs\content\images\thumbs\saleitem.jpg)

NEW SERVER File Path (h:\root\home\domain\www\nopcart\content\images\thumbs\saleitem.jpg)

Everything works OK when I do the migration EXCEPT for there are no graphics showing. Just the default.png file The graphics are in the folders and made the migration but the PATHS are broken.
Thanks
4 years ago
Server path does not matter here.

If pictures saved in file system, original pictures (not application generated thumb images) must be saved in content > images (for < v4.0) directory.
4 years ago
They are in the /Content/images/thumbs/  folders. In the download excel sheet the path to Picture1 is on H:// for the Source server and it is C:// for the destination server so they do not match. I have to change the destination folder to match source server and there is no H:// directory on destination server.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.