Should I use 4.0/4.1 or stick with 3.9 for new build?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
5 years ago
Im seeing a fair bit of chatter on here about undiagnozable performance issues with 4.1/4.1
e.g. https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/52512/nop-40-site-goes-down-with-high-load.aspx

Im about to start a new build for what will be a large site with lots of produts with complicated attribute combinations. It will also undergo a lot of customisation to process.

Ive used 3.9 on a few projects without issue, and looking at the release notes Im not seeing any killer features in 4+ that make me really want it.

Therefore I think should I just stick to 3.9?

We could potentially upgade to 4.2 to hopefully get a stabler version if we encounter issues but:
- will 4.2 be any better necessarily
- upgrading NOP is difficult, particularly with all te customosations this project requires, and the project will be done nore or less by the time the next NOP is out.

Does anyone have good thing to tell me about large complicated sites running on 4.1 please?

Thanks
5 years ago
johndillon wrote:

Hi John,

There is really no reason to chose an older version of nopCommerce.
Unfortunately there is some misconception that nopCommerce 4.x is not that stable as nopCommerce 3.90, which I think is not true.

The only performance issue in 4.10 is caused by EF Core 2.10 and only in specific scenarios and it was resolved (although you need to apply the fix manually). We have more than 40 nopCommerce 4.10 websites that are running without any problems.

Please also note that the upgrade from 3.90 to 4.0/4.10 was one of the hardest upgrades ever since there are many changes i.e 4.0 uses ASP.NET Core and 4.10 uses .NET Core.
So if you are to start a new project you should definitely start with 4.10.
This will give you the ability to upgrade to 4.20 much easier than if you try to upgrade from 3.9.

I actually don't know how hard it will be to upgrade to nopCommerce 4.20 but hopefully it will be relatively easy as there will be no "new framework" this time.
Also nopCommerce 4.20 is expected to run on Linux so you will have more hosting options with it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Boyko
5 years ago
OK thanks v much Boyko good to know
5 years ago
Nop-Templates.com wrote:

Hi John,

There is really no reason to chose an older version of nopCommerce.
Unfortunately there is some misconception that nopCommerce 4.x is not that stable as nopCommerce 3.90, which I think is not true.

The only performance issue in 4.10 is caused by EF Core 2.10 and only in specific scenarios and it was resolved (although you need to apply the fix manually). We have more than 40 nopCommerce 4.10 websites that are running without any problems.

Please also note that the upgrade from 3.90 to 4.0/4.10 was one of the hardest upgrades ever since there are many changes i.e 4.0 uses ASP.NET Core and 4.10 uses .NET Core.
So if you are to start a new project you should definitely start with 4.10.
This will give you the ability to upgrade to 4.20 much easier than if you try to upgrade from 3.9.

I actually don't know how hard it will be to upgrade to nopCommerce 4.20 but hopefully it will be relatively easy as there will be no "new framework" this time.
Also nopCommerce 4.20 is expected to run on Linux so you will have more hosting options with it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Boyko

We have been experiencing some problems with 4.1 in azure on webapps. If the service plan scales, the website sometimes goes down and stays down until a restart. Azure is aware that this can be a problem in dotnet 2.1 and they suggested that i keep localcache on as a appsetting. That is not doauble for me at this time.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.