Many Bugs in Forum > HTML Editor

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
There are many bugs in HTML editor for Forums

1st Bug) Let's say we have a post on forum like this: http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7733/14975770.jpg

Now when a user replies to that post by pressing "Quote"

In the reply area of HTML Editor, the mouse cursor/pointer by default sets to user name like this: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1629/88692729.jpg

So if a person/user wants to write his reply he/she keeps on clicking below the dotted line but mouse cursor doesn't go there, if user clicks inside the dotted quote line , user reply will be posted along with the previous user's reply.

The only way to solve this is to click on HTML Text option [<>] and write the reply after </p> tag

but on a e-commerce website , are we sure that our customers will have HTML knowledge ? they know know what is </p> tag and how to go to HTML source code in HTML Editor. If they won't be able to reply, they will never use forum as they will think it's not possible to write messages on forums.

2nd Bug) If there is a post  on a forum like this (with a replied quote dotted line): http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/413/76674042.jpg
If any user tries to reply that post by pressing "Quote", the two replies should be in 1 big quote dotted line and each one of those replies should be in separate dotted lines with the one big dotted lines but it looks like this: http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/654/74579197.jpg

3rd Bug) HTML quote button editor doesn't work for multiple quote replies just like the bug in BBEditor

4th Bug) I tested HTML editor almost 20 times in a row and out of 20 times 5 to 6 times the HTML editor reply windows doesn't appear, it just doesn't show up except a blank space. This thing often happens if you will test HTML editor regularly. (there is a chance the HTML Editor is loading behind the code but eventually it never shows up and this bug is not in any specific browser, i tested it in all browsers)

I took a screenshot to demonstrate this bug, here's how it looks like: http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/6373/66713796.jpg
13 years ago
I think we need to remove HTML Editor as forum editor option. Anyway nobody uses it
13 years ago
nopCommerce team | a.m. wrote:
I think we need to remove HTML Editor as forum editor option. Anyway nobody uses it

well i tried using it (i want to use all features provided by nopCommerce :)), but i can't use it due to so many bugs in it.

Yes Andrei, i agree majority of users prefer BBEditor as it is simple and stable.

It will be great to have editor like Tiny MCE in future versions of nopCommerce as it offers lot of features and is very user-friendly.

I posted a bug of "Quote Button" in BBEditor also, it is going to be fixed in 1.8 version ?

Andrei, i want to know 1 thing about quote button, this dotted line is defined in the java file that is in with BBEditor folder ? Because i couldn't find it or it is defined in stylesheet of the theme ? From where quote button is getting the functionality that if it is used it has to draw a dotted line outside the message ?

In BBEditor: I want to make text size smaller which is in quote button and want to give it a background like white background so that the website visitor can easily distinguish between that's quote text and that is his/her reply as for now both looks similar except dotted line. It will be a great improvement to have something like this: http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/8869/quoteu.jpg

I think Code tag in BBEditor also needs some improvement as using is doesn't make any different, the code looks like normal text. It should look something like this: http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/6161/codefk.jpg
13 years ago
abcd_12345 wrote:
I posted a bug of "Quote Button" in BBEditor also, it is going to be fixed in 1.8 version ?

Yes

abcd_12345 wrote:
this dotted line is defined in the java file that is in with BBEditor folder ? Because i couldn't find it or it is defined in stylesheet of the theme ? From where quote button is getting the functionality that if it is used it has to draw a dotted line outside the message ?

it's defined in stylesheet
13 years ago
I am Facing the bug no 4.

Is there any solution for that

Version 1.60

Any suggestion will greatly appreciated
11 years ago
Hello-

I understand why the HTML editor that was included in the forum had problems and was removed from subsequent releases, but I'm wondering if somebody has worked on this during the past 2 years.

My forum will not be allowing comments of customers or visitors, so I do not have to worry about the potential security risks associated with allowing strangers to possibly inject malicious code into the database, nor do I have to worry about improperly formatted HTML being inserted by novice coders.

It is essential that my forum posts include HTML and image references, and without a better GUI admin interface for creating and editing posts, it will make it necessary for me to manually insert the data into the database.

Has anyone addressed this yet?

EDIT:

In order to move forward with progress, I created a new forum topic with some bogus text, and then inserted my content directly into the database record, replacing the bogus text. When viewed in abrowser, the embedded HTML doesn't render and you just see the code.

Remember, I'm new to this...so maybe my methods seem a bit wacky..

I figured that the _ForumPost.cshtml would be the place to look, and I found this near the top:

<div class="forum-post" id="@Html.Encode(String.Format("post{0}", @Model.Id))">

I'm a total novice at ASP.NET/C# but it looks to me like it's deliberately NOT rendering any included HTML within the value of the "post" variable. I'm also assuming that the String.Format is the thing that actually does the trick.

Right? Can this be changed without affecting anything else?
Would I just remove that function from it, like?:

<div class="forum-post" id="@Html.Encode("post{0}", @Model.Id))">

Does the solution have to be rebuilt afterwards, or just the edited file saved?

FURTHER UPDATE:
I tried that and a bunch of other stuff, to no avail..
Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
5 years ago
Hi Steve,

Were you able to get a bit more HTML power to the forums? I use NOP 3.6 and really want to set up forums, but only if I can make them a bit more WYSIWYG.

Thanks,

David

embryo wrote:
Hello-

I understand why the HTML editor that was included in the forum had problems and was removed from subsequent releases, but I'm wondering if somebody has worked on this during the past 2 years.

My forum will not be allowing comments of customers or visitors, so I do not have to worry about the potential security risks associated with allowing strangers to possibly inject malicious code into the database, nor do I have to worry about improperly formatted HTML being inserted by novice coders.

It is essential that my forum posts include HTML and image references, and without a better GUI admin interface for creating and editing posts, it will make it necessary for me to manually insert the data into the database.

Has anyone addressed this yet?

EDIT:

In order to move forward with progress, I created a new forum topic with some bogus text, and then inserted my content directly into the database record, replacing the bogus text. When viewed in abrowser, the embedded HTML doesn't render and you just see the code.

Remember, I'm new to this...so maybe my methods seem a bit wacky..

I figured that the _ForumPost.cshtml would be the place to look, and I found this near the top:

<div class="forum-post" id="@Html.Encode(String.Format("post{0}", @Model.Id))">

I'm a total novice at ASP.NET/C# but it looks to me like it's deliberately NOT rendering any included HTML within the value of the "post" variable. I'm also assuming that the String.Format is the thing that actually does the trick.

Right? Can this be changed without affecting anything else?
Would I just remove that function from it, like?:

<div class="forum-post" id="@Html.Encode("post{0}", @Model.Id))">

Does the solution have to be rebuilt afterwards, or just the edited file saved?

FURTHER UPDATE:
I tried that and a bunch of other stuff, to no avail..
Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.