Anyone know a way to upgrade to 1.8 features and keep the 3.5 framework?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hi, I'm planning to use nopCommerce but I only can use the 1.6 release because I'm not using visual studio 2010 or have 4.0 servers. Is there any work around or ways to make the newest release to work on 3.5?
13 years ago
I'm pretty sure no is the answer to that

i recommend you upgrade and move to a host that supports .net 4

you can download VWDE for free from microsoft website

- hayden
13 years ago
Yeah, that's not really an option because my company is working with Visual Studio 2008.
13 years ago
That's likely to be impossible I'm afraid. You could possibly "downgrade" a .NET 4.0 application to 3.5, but you need only run into one function call that's not available in 3.5 and you're snookered. Furthermore, VS2008 doesn't support C# 4.0 according to StackOverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1202289/is-it-possible-to-use-c-4-0-with-visual-studio-2008). That's the new language features, which are somewhat seperate from the framework version (in VS2010 you can use the latest language version with an older framework).

It's worth bearing in mind that .NET 4.0 is a totally new framework, unlike 3.5 which was built on the 2.0 CLR (common language runtime).

Your options are, so far as I can see, stick with your current NopCommerce version or upgrade your IDE and hosting environments.
13 years ago
You can always try Visual Studio Express if that's an option, or maybe SharpDevelop which is an open source IDE for .NEt.  I know they were targeting 4.0 for their next release last time I used it.
13 years ago
I have tried converting the current nopCommerce platform to .net 3.5. There is no way to do it because the System.Data.Objects namespace that nopCommerce uses is not compatible with 3.5. You could convert nopCommerce to .net 3.5 using LINQ to SQL but the future of .net is in LINQ to Entities. Your best bet is to find a provider that offers .net 4.0. Trust me, I have been faced with the same dilemma because my current provider is still using .net 3.5 and has not yet moved to 4.0.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.