Number of ways in which an order status could be "COMPLETED"

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
I tested the order section in many ways and found out that the status of the order remains "Processing" OR "Pending" until and unless the store owner clicks on 4 buttons i.e:

1) Mark as paid

2) Set as shipped

3) Set as delivered

4) Set Tracking Number (i think this is optional)

Is this combination of events a feasible way to make the order status as "Completed" ?

I think it totally depends on the store owner how they would like the order status to be "Completed" and current 1.8version limits the store owner to go through above mentioned events to make any order as "Completed"

Once the store owner provides the tracking number to the customer, it should be the customer's responsibility to check the status of the order online. But currently in 1.8version the store owner also has to follow the delivery status of the product(s) along with the customer because until and unless the store owner "Set the product as Delivered " the order status will remain "Processing"/ " Pending".

It would be great to deal with this situation in 3 ways:

1) The "Set as Delivered" should not be mandatory in making the order status "Completed". Once the store owner "Mark the order as Paid" and "Set the order as Shipped". the order should become "Completed".

2) The procedure/method for store owner to make any order status "Completed" should be make configurable so that store owner could follow his/her own specific pattern of making order status "completed" or set his own events (out of above mentioned button clicks) to make order status "Completed"

3) Amazon follows a great way of handling shipment. The user gets the tracking number and customer doesn't have to go to usp / usps / fedex website to check order status. The amazon website is integrated with all these shipping methods and provides the online status of the order in the customer's account itself. So if this method could be implement in nopCommerce, then the status of the order will become "Completed" automaticall on the delivery of the order.

Important Point: Currently there is no way of setting the delivery date on the click event of "Set as Delivered". That is the reason store owner has to follow all the orders for delivery. What if there are 1000s of orders ? It would be very difficult for any store owner to follow each order status and update it manually on the website. Atleast in upcoming versions of nopCommerce, the admin should be able to set the deleivery date so that once that date is arrived the status of the order becomes "Completed" automatically.
13 years ago
1) I agree completely, it just makes sense.  From the store owner's point of view, once it's shipped, it's completed.  If they want to take the time to track the status, and update the 'delivered' status, that's a nice touch, but it's above and beyond the call of duty.

2) A bit vague.  Are you saying the store owner should be able to just mark an order arbitrarily as 'completed'?  If you are, I'm inclined to agree with that too.

3) A bit ambitious.  While it would be nice, it seems like a pretty complex thing for a small team to pull off.  More power to them if they can, but I'd prefer they work on other things.

One thought on your last point: it would be nice if they could import a CSV file that updates the status.  That would probably be the best answer for the 1000's of orders scenario.
13 years ago
aGorilla wrote:

2) A bit vague.  Are you saying the store owner should be able to just mark an order arbitrarily as 'completed'?  If you are, I'm inclined to agree with that too.

By configurable i meant:

Store owner should be able to set or configure his/her own events for making any order status as "Completed"

As, currently the above mentioned 3 or 4 events are required to make any order status "Completed".

In future/upcoming versions - store owner (in admin section) should be able to choose / set / save number of events from the above mentioned list for order completion. Once the events are set the order status will be set as "Completed" on occurrence of those set events.

For Example:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a feature named as : Configure Events for Order Status to be COMPLETED:

Mark as paid     X
Set as shipped   x
Set as delivered X
Set Tracking Number X
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Situation 1) Store owner wants the order to be "Completed" as soon as he receives the payment. So store owner will enable "Mark as paid" event and disable other events in the configuration option of order status. Now, as soon as he will click on button "Mark as Payment" the order status will be changed to "COMPLETED"

Situation 2) Store owner want can enable 2 events out of 4: Mark as paid and Set as shipped.

and so on.....

By this configurable way, the procedure / method of "Order Status" will meet all kinds of requirements for all store owners.

aGorilla wrote:

One thought on your last point: it would be nice if they could import a CSV file that updates the status.  That would probably be the best answer for the 1000's of orders scenario.

That would be great for future versions but for now (1.9version) even if we get option to set delivery date - that will do the job for the time being !
13 years ago
Aye, that makes sense.  And it would come in handy for sites that sell services or downloads, where there is no shipping involved.
13 years ago
Agree, it should be more configurable. Work item is already created (vote here)
13 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Agree, it should be more configurable. Work item is already created

Any update on this? Where can I follow the status of this work item.

I agree with everyone above. I'd like for the order status to be less restrictive. It's nice for it to follow rules BUT I think as the admin you should be able to overwrite status and change it as needed. Same with the payment status, I accidentally marked as paid and couldn't undo it.
13 years ago
Great thread!

I hope there is a solution for this the next release.  Here's my suggestion: I would add two options-

First, disable the "Set To Delivered" button, making "Set To Shipped" the completion command.  

Second, disable both "Set To Shipped" and "Set To Delivered" buttons, making "Mark as Paid" the completion command.

In my usage, either would make life easier but the second option would be best.  I use UPS Worldship to ship my orders, which generates a tracking email for each customer.  I would like to eliminate the need to cut-and-pasting that tracking number back into NopCommerce.

Thanks!
13 years ago
I recognised that yes it's not possible to track realistically. Next best thing rather than trying to contact. Automatically send an email say 5 days (or x number of days) after you have shipped with a link - Saying thanks for shopping and asking them to check that they recieved the item by clicking the link.

If they are a good customer and they will be returning to the site in the future ? then they will propably click the link in the email which will take them back to the site to confirm reciept automaticalaly nothing for them to do.

Then as well they are at your site browsing again and maybe then thinking about another sale. So it promotes customer contacts.

You could also include the email a Help Option for incases where they did not receive it "If for some reason you do not recieve item yet and do not received in the next 3 days please click here" (takes them to help option on the site)

Yes otherwise if you don't want to try to track if the goods received. Switch to disable Goods tracking. (which basically just sets Shipped and Deliverd at the same time)

But auto customer service option is good option too.
A
13 years ago
Andrei, is this issue going to be resolved in 2.0 version ?
13 years ago
abcd_12345 wrote:
Andrei, is this issue going to be resolved in 2.0 version ?

Perhaps. We're discussing it
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.