Speed difference between VPS and Shared hosting - ist it worth it ?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
4 years ago
hi there
Ive just moved my old ecommerce to version 4.2 nopcommerce site
6,840 products
5,052 categories
around 200-300 visits per day

I currently have this on shared windows hosting and it seems to run ok.

my question is this - what speed benefit would i see from moving this site from shared hoisting to a vps ?

is it worthwhile?

Thanks for any advice!
4 years ago
toadman wrote:
I currently have this on shared windows hosting and it seems to run ok.

If it is ok with shared hosting, then what is the reason behind moving to VPS?

Definitely a well configured VPS will be faster than shared hosting, but you should not think about that when you can serve well with shared hosting. Money does matter.
4 years ago
reading all the posts about hosting they state that shared hosting is too slow for nopcommerce sites with large categories. im worried customers will find it slow. when i test it myself it seems ok. But im worried brand new visitors will not get a quick enough page load.  choosing hosting when your not techincal seems very confusing !

are there any recommendations for testing page load speed?
4 years ago
toadman wrote:
reading all the posts about hosting they state that shared hosting is too slow for nopcommerce sites with large categories. im worried customers will find it slow. when i test it myself it seems ok. But im worried brand new visitors will not get a quick enough page load.  choosing hosting when your not techincal seems very confusing !

The nopCommerce 4.2 is faster than all previous. Shared hosting is not bad for small or medium businesses but vps/dedicated hosting the best choice. You can test your website speed by google page speed or gmatrix. It is always good to run a load test with the concurrent users. For load test, you can use Katalon studio. A load test with concurrent customers is very important.
4 years ago
sina.islam wrote:

.... You can test your website speed by google page speed or gmatrix. It is always good to run a load test with the concurrent users. For load test, you can use Katalon studio. A load test with concurrent customers is very important.

Hello.
I liked your post... Could you share the scenario/source of your Katalon studio tests(A load test) for NP?
Best Regards.
4 years ago
abch wrote:

.... You can test your website speed by google page speed or gmatrix. It is always good to run a load test with the concurrent users. For load test, you can use Katalon studio. A load test with concurrent customers is very important.
Hello.
I liked your post... Could you share the scenario/source of your Katalon studio tests(A load test) for NP?
Best Regards.

There is a lot of resource at youtube you can try that. I can make a video and share with you. It is very effective. There are many cases I face that the website is working very expected for 2-3 concurrent customers but with more like 50-100 concurrent customers site becomes very slow.
4 years ago
sina.islam wrote:

...  I can make a video and share with you. It is very effective. There are many cases I face that the website is working very expected for 2-3 concurrent customers but with more like 50-100 concurrent customers site becomes very slow.

... Yes please...it would be great. Here is my part of the scenario :) 1. 20-50 concurrent customers. 2. cms - Nopcommerce store 3. and URL - one-page checkout... Or any like this... up to you :). Best Regards.
4 years ago
sina.islam wrote:

The nopCommerce 4.2 is faster than all previous. Shared hosting is not bad for small or medium businesses but vps/dedicated hosting the best choice. You can test your website speed by google page speed or gmatrix. It is always good to run a load test with the concurrent users. For load test, you can use Katalon studio. A load test with concurrent customers is very important.

Thank you for this information.  When i check speed on gtmetrix i get different results each day. Today it was a grade E yesterday b !

What sort of requirements should i look for in VPS to get a fast site - in terms or RAM and CPU - im confused !

I have one site to host.
Around 300 visitors per day.
im using some foxnetsoft plugins
6,840 products
5,052 categories

Thanks for any advice!
4 years ago
toadman wrote:

Thank you for this information.  When i check speed on gtmetrix i get different results each day. Today it was a grade E yesterday b !

Don't look at E or B. Look at the number of seconds. Number of seconds is what the users will experience. :)

4 years ago
hi there
update on this for anyone who is interested.
Ive moved my site to a vps
8gb ram
4 cpus
ssd disks
it does not load in any faster than on my shared hosting acct.
The host has said

"slow speed only happens after a period of time where the site hasn't been used. It removes the tempDB table it creates and then recreates the whole thing which takes quite some time with the number of products you have. Also as it's a single query it is limited by single-core performance"

any advice anyone ? I was hoping that moving to a VPS would increase page load massively !
I have keep alive task enabled and store url correctly set.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.