Updating Custom Plugins

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
4 years ago
Hi all,

I have a question regarding developing and updating custom plugins for nop 3.9. I have a simple setup where my production instance is on another server so anytime I make an update I have to upload the new compiled copy of my plugin and overwrite what's on the server. I'm wondering if there is a standard or more proper way to do this, or if what I'm doing is unnecessary. Thanks!
4 years ago
TimJ012 wrote:
anytime I make an update I have to upload the new compiled copy of my plugin and overwrite what's on the server.

It's true that it is a delay process, but most of the time people follow this. However you can build a Continuous Deployment (CD) pipeline for your project. If you are using Azure, then here is an article for you on Building CI/CD Pipeline From Scratch For Azure Deployment Using VSTS.
4 years ago
Hi mhsjaber,

Thanks for the link! I am considering adopting CI/CD into my build environment so this will be very helpful to read.

I forgot to mention in my post that each time that I update a plugin I uninstall it from nop first before uploading and overwriting the original plugin, then I reload the plugin list and install the plugin again. I'm wondering if this is necessary or if I can simply overwrite what's on the server without reinstalling anything this way.
4 years ago
It's not necessary, if plugin db context entities are unchanged. You can just override the plugin folder.

Even when there are changes in plugin entities, you can manually change in database according to db context and override the folder.
4 years ago
Thank you for your fast response. This is very good to know and answers my question. Thanks again!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.