Why does Nopcommerce us Mssql, instead of MySQL.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
4 years ago
I've spent several days learning how to host virtual servers on virtual machines, even learned how to install and use Linux for the first time ever, and then I realise that NopCommerce uses MsSql.
Is there a release of Nopcommerce of a fix that can ensure it uses MySQL, since it's unarguably safer and more secure.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
4 years ago
NopCommerce doesn't officially support MySql. But you can customize it yourself. However you can install MSSQL on Linux also.
4 years ago
Please can you expand upon this. I've been a Windows power user for 20 years and only recently started using Linux.

The VPS I will be using, uses Linux, so I started doing the steps to install Nopcommerce onto the VPS (Currently using a VM workstation and a Ubuntu install)

How would I go about installing the MySQ, instead of the mssql that the 'Nopcommerce guide to installing on Linux suggests)

Thank you for your help in this.
4 years ago
It's a bit longer process. In short, you need to make support MySql with nopCommerce. You can get help from nopCommerce git repository, which is in development for v4.30. Then install and connect MySql with you application in as usual process.
4 years ago
Thank you for your prompt reply.
4 years ago
Happy to help. :)
4 years ago
I don't suppose you know anything about linux at all?

This bit doesn't make any sense to me (installing all the requirements to get my Ubuntu OS ready to install some bits I need)

https://ibb.co/Hxg0WmB (to see the stuff I'm being asked to do)

I don't understand what a global variable is, or what a .zshrc or .bashrc is, or how to open the .profile file.

I realise this isn't the best place to ask this, but if you don't ask you'll never know.

Thanks again.
4 years ago
taketherisk wrote:
I've spent several days learning how to host virtual servers on virtual machines, even learned how to install and use Linux for the first time ever, and then I realise that NopCommerce uses MsSql.
Is there a release of Nopcommerce of a fix that can ensure it uses MySQL, since it's unarguably safer and more secure.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Why MySql is "unarguably safer and more secure"?

Both enterprise database systems are designed as binary collections. MySQL enables developers to manipulate database files through binaries while running. It even allows the database files to be accessed and manipulated by other processes at runtime. But SQL Server does not allow any process to access or manipulate its database files or binaries. It requires users to perform specific functions or manipulate files by running an instance. Hence, the hackers lack the option to access or manipulate data directly. The design rule makes MS SQL Server more secure than MySQL.

Ref: https://medium.com/@mindfiresolutions.usa/a-comparison-between-mysql-vs-ms-sql-server-58b537e474be
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.