What is karma? How is it calculated?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
a.m. wrote:

Is this karma point system will be available in nopCommerce project too?
Sure

Andrei,
Since you mentioned that "Karma Point System" will be available in nopCommerce project. Are you going to include it in upcoming 2.0version ?
12 years ago
abcd_12345 wrote:
Since you mentioned that "Karma Point System" will be available in nopCommerce project. Are you going to include it in upcoming 2.0version ?

No
12 years ago
Hi Guys,

Just a suggestion for Karma calculation & enhancements to the forum, that might address some of the current concerns.

I'm part of a community that uses a commercial forum application, it has 2 features that rank users rather than just a Karma method like in NOP.

1 is Kudos/karma which is based purely on a post voting mechanism very similar to the current NOP system, on the front page of the forum it has a "Top Kudoed Authors" box which displays the top n kudosed posters for the month.

The second part is a status based system where as your points grow you move through different statuses so if your starting point was Partner, you go through Trusted Partner, Valued Partner & Super Partner and so on. Like NOP there are different classes of users, so there are Users, Partners, Employees & each has its own status ladder.

The persons status appears under the user name in the post info area, appears in a tool tip when you hover over the username in other places on the site & appears in their profile.

As for how points are calculated its a bit like the existing NOP system except that there are 2 extra factors, 1 that relates to the opening poster who can flag a thread as "Answered" by clicking an answered button at the bottom of the post that answers the question, naturally the poster who provided the answer gets status points.

The "Answered" also has a second function in that it is used (in the site I use) to add a green tick next to the thread in the thread list, on the opening post in the thread and in the post that actually answers the question in the opening post, this is great for 2 reasons, 1 it lets users who are looking for answers know there is an answer to the question somewhere in the posts and second from a support perspective the people answering questions can see at a glance if a thread has had a correct answer.

The second part/extra function is related to tags, each post has a tags button that lets users add tags to a post, in effect the one that adds tags is awards points towards their status.

Cheers
Garry
12 years ago
gaz wrote:
The "Answered" also has a second function in that it is used (in the site I use) to add a green tick next to the thread in the thread list, on the opening post in the thread and in the post that actually answers the question in the opening post, this is great for 2 reasons, 1 it lets users who are looking for answers know there is an answer to the question somewhere in the posts and second from a support perspective the people answering questions can see at a glance if a thread has had a correct answer.

This seems to be very useful. It must be taken into consideration that sometimes there can be more than one answers with different aproach. It can also be helpfull if one can select at thread entrance to jump to the answer(s)
12 years ago
Important update. You can now easily upload your plugin or language pack to our Extensions section to share it with other users. 200 points will be added to your account for each contribution (after it's approved). Find more info here
12 years ago
haydie wrote:
I think there is a real problem with the way karma is calculated because :  ...
<stuff deleted>
- hayden

It doesn't take a geneous to boost your own karma points or vote down others. This reminds me of a time when I was evaluating a small business. I walked into the store and on the wall board was a picture of a team of girls under the title The Yelp Team. I can just imagine that the job of this team is to sign on to Yelp and give the business raving reviews. lol.
12 years ago
MarioRosario wrote:
<stuff deleted>
- hayden

It doesn't take a geneous to boost your own karma points or vote down others. This reminds me of a time when I was evaluating a small business. I walked into the store and on the wall board was a picture of a team of girls under the title The Yelp Team. I can just imagine that the job of this team is to sign on to Yelp and give the business raving reviews. lol.

You have a point MarioRosario. It is possible to spam the forums and boost your karma, but active community members would probably start down voting all of your posts (if you weren't already banned). Theoretically it should balance out and promote better quality posts and beneficial participation.

One thing about Karma is that most of us think of Karma as a product or rating of a persons forum worthiness. Karma is a measure (good or bad) of a users support for the nopCommerce platform as a whole. Sponsors paid for the hosting we use to post questions concerning nopCommerce. The money nopCommerce collects eventually creates features and solves defects.

I think all purchases from nopCommerce should generate Karma. There is more to nopCommerce than the posts inside of our forum.
12 years ago
skyler.severns wrote:
<stuff deleted>
- hayden

You have a point MarioRosario. It is possible to spam the forums and boost your karma, but active community members would probably start down voting all of your posts (if you weren't already banned). Theoretically it should balance out and promote better quality posts and beneficial participation.

One thing about Karma is that most of us think of Karma as a product or rating of a persons forum worthiness. Karma is a measure (good or bad) of a users support for the nopCommerce platform as a whole. Sponsors paid for the hosting we use to post questions concerning nopCommerce. The money nopCommerce collects eventually creates features and solves defects.

I think all purchases from nopCommerce should generate Karma. There is more to nopCommerce than the posts inside of our forum.

Sorry if I seem sarcastic at times, the US economy has gotten me down.
12 years ago
MarioRosario wrote:
<stuff deleted>
- hayden

Sorry if I seem sarcastic at times, the US economy has gotten me down.

No worries. Hopefully things get better.
12 years ago
What version of nopCommerce do you think the karma point system will be integrated into? I feel this would be a nice feature. If there is a page in the Codeplex for this feature, please let me know so I can vote for it.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.