In addition to its brick and mortar stores chain, Caster Technology decided to create an online presence. The challenge was to push their 2 million SKUs stored in an ERP system to the new store. Populating the descriptions for all the products were no easy task. Irvine had to implement a way to create descriptions and attributes easily. Additionally, this was a multi-store solution, so the same product needed to have a way of being descripted differently in each store.
Irvine used nopCommerce 3.7. They discovered that each letter in product SKU is an identifying factor. Therefore a 16-character length product SKU has enough identifying factors to populate the description from. Irvine provided the following:
- Created a middle-tier application that communicated with nopCommerce and the ERP system
- The application uses SKU numbers to generate descriptions
- Created an image processing system that resizes all images in bulk and attaches watermark
- Created a push process that pushes all descriptions to nopCommerce
- Created a push process that pushes all images to Azure CDN
- Created a process for the platform to process the product information received and populate the product database
- Created a pull service that retrieves all images from Azure CDN
- Customized administration panel to allow multiple names and description for the same product within each store
- Created an auto-store detect which changes store theme colors and logo based on a store code
2 million SKUs were pushed to nopCommerce store hands-free with no manual work. 12 stores are created on a single platform, the plan is to go up to 50.
At the moment, the online store is rather a catalog, so a customer should call the company to get a quote. The plan now is to integrate the pricing structure and Avalara for taxing.
Irvine Software Company is a premier technology consulting firm specializing in web and application development, providing solutions to small businesses across the globe.