What is karma? How is it calculated?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 Jahre weitere
Karma (reputation) is used to determine how much a user participates within the community. To gain karma, post good questions and useful answers. Your peers will vote on your posts, and those votes will cause you to gain (or, in rare cases, lose) karma:

1. Topic is created. +5 points
2. Post is created. +5 points
3. Your post is voted up. +10 points
4. Your post is voted down. -10 points

A maximum of 30 votes can be cast per user per day, and you can earn a maximum of 200 karma per day (although karma for becoming community sponsor is immune to this limit).

nopCommerce MVPs (most valuable person) nominations will be partially based on Karma points. You can see the list of best rated members at the bottom of this page. Also please find all nopCommerce MVPs (Most Valuable Person) here
13 Jahre weitere
Almost 9 - 10 months before, I proposed this idea for the first time in this forum to nop TEAM - To start a point system to reward all the member and to make forum more user-friendly.  

History:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/3521/nopcommerce-16-roadmap-lets-discuss.aspx?p=6#15710

https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/3521/nopcommerce-16-roadmap-lets-discuss.aspx#13710

http://nopcommerce.codeplex.com/workitem/7781?ProjectName=nopcommerce

https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/5847/nopcommerce-transformed-into-a-forum-blogging-website.aspx#23800

This feature will reward all the community members who contribute in this forum by helping nop users. I wonder on what bases nop MVP was awarded in past to many members here (which made it a biased way) (feels sorry for members who spend lot of their time for helping nop users but never received any kind of appreciation)

Finally, this reward system is here - looks great.

Thank you nop Team...
13 Jahre weitere
Yeah, I remember these suggestion.

Karma is not set to 0. See my P.P.S. above: "please wait some time until karma is recalculated (can take up to an hour)". nopCommerce forums has about 8,000 topics and 33,000 posts. That's why it can take up to an hour. So the karma of all the previous topic/post authors will be increased very soon.
13 Jahre weitere
Great move, I'm quite active in the Umbraco community and the things people do to get more karma is excellent for the community.  

If we can get this forum as active with people wanting to help and answer posts as the Umbraco forum, then the future will be very bright.
13 Jahre weitere
Yes indeed it's a great move - This point system was initially started by asp.net forum and today on asp.net forum 529,515 users have contributed to 2,325,716 threads and 3,088,946 posts.

I am an active participant / contributor on asp.net forum and love this point system.

Andrei - Just want to remind you about the other idea that I suggested few months before "Forum Statistics" https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/7531/adding-forum-statistics.aspx
13 Jahre weitere
Andrei, I have one more suggestion for this karma point system

You can add one more point like this:

6. Vote for a post. +2 points

Adding this point (or feature) will encourage forum members to vote for useful posts (or answers). If this point is not being added in the karma point system then there might be a chance that in order to remain ahead in karma point system, few members don't vote for any post even if it is useful or answers the question (which will affect the nop user who is coming for the first time on the forum in search of an answer) - This voting system is very important because it can be used to mark the post as answer to the question by voting for it.
13 Jahre weitere
Hope not. Using that scenario would leave it open to abuse as there are some that would vote just to get more points.
13 Jahre weitere
I just made an SEO enhancement to nopCommerce 1.8! Now, images are named using product, category, manufacturer names by default, but you can also specify your own file names if you like within the admin section. I've released the changes to my site SkateMob.net. Also, notice how I added the ability to set a Title Prefix and/or Title Suffix!!

Andrei, how do I go about adding these SEO enhancements to nopCommerce? And, do I get good Karma points for it??

Thanks, Bruce
13 Jahre weitere
breakskater wrote:
Andrei, how do I go about adding these SEO enhancements to nopCommerce?

Simple create a new fork on codeplex repository site. If it's OK, then it'll be merged into official release.
...or create a new package with modified files and email it to me. I'll publish it here

breakskater wrote:
And, do I get good Karma points for it??

See my initial post above: "We're working on user-friendly way of contributing extensions. After it's complete, you'll be able to increase your karma by submitting new language packs, graphical theme, payment or shipping modules". This option is not available now.
13 Jahre weitere
Hi Andrei, I saw this asked but not (I think) answered - how to become a team member? Or will you advertise/invite as and when people are needed?

Just for for reference at the current time. Am interested but too busy right now.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.