Help with Shipping Setup

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
I have been trying to come up with ways that I can make my shipping calculations even remotely close and need to reach out to you all. Website is at www.nelsonbro.com/retail if that helps. The problem I am having is when multiple products are ordered, the shipping goes crazy. I have a current order that fortunately the customer called on and we got straightened out but for the items that we are able to ship for just over $11, the system calculates $218 to ship.

In this order there are 108 items ranging from .1 lbs to .4 lbs.

I have it setup to use UPS to calculate the shipping based on weight and dimension which is pretty accurate when I figure shipping on just 1 item.

Could someone take the time to point me in a direction that will get accurate shipping calcs so customers will quit abandoning their carts when they get the shipping quote?

Thank you Sincerely,
Tracey
12 years ago
accentedbyiron wrote:
I have been trying to come up with ways that I can make my shipping calculations even remotely close and need to reach out to you all. Website is at www.nelsonbro.com/retail if that helps. The problem I am having is when multiple products are ordered, the shipping goes crazy. I have a current order that fortunately the customer called on and we got straightened out but for the items that we are able to ship for just over $11, the system calculates $218 to ship.

In this order there are 108 items ranging from .1 lbs to .4 lbs.

I have it setup to use UPS to calculate the shipping based on weight and dimension which is pretty accurate when I figure shipping on just 1 item.

Could someone take the time to point me in a direction that will get accurate shipping calcs so customers will quit abandoning their carts when they get the shipping quote?

Thank you Sincerely,
Tracey

Hi Tracey:

What Nop version are you using? Some problems in shipping cost calculation were corrected in v 2.0. Check:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/9980/truly-disgusted-with-all-the-bugs-in-the-shipping-modules.aspx

In the UPS site I requested  time/cost (results bellow) for a package of 25 lbs (100 x .25 lbs (which is the average of .1 and .4) ) and got quotes form $36.91 up to 223.84 depending on the type of service.

On the other hand sometimes the fares are calculated by dimensions of your package and not weight. This might give you exesive costs for products which are light but bulky.

------------------------------------------------------
Service Latest Pickup
Time: Guaranteed By Total  
UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®   6:15 P.M.
Tuesday
October 4, 2011
8:00 A.M.,
Wednesday
October 5, 2011  223.84 USD *

Days In Transit: 1 Schedule by
5:15 P.M.
Tuesday
October 4, 2011     Billable Weight:
25.0 lbs.    
UPS Next Day Air®   6:15 P.M.
Tuesday
October 4, 2011
10:30 A.M.,
Wednesday
October 5, 2011  188.50 USD *

Tuesday
25.0 lbs.    
UPS Next Day Air Saver®   6:15 P.M.
Tuesday
October 4, 2011
3:00 P.M.,
Wednesday
October 5, 2011  180.52 USD *

Tuesday
25.0 lbs.    
UPS 2nd Day Air A.M.®   6:15 P.M.
Tuesday
October 4, 2011
10:30 A.M.,
Thursday
October 6, 2011  160.34 USD *

Days In Transit: 2 Schedule by
Tuesday
25.0 lbs.    
UPS 2nd Day Air®   6:15 P.M.
Tuesday
October 4, 2011
By End of Day,
Thursday
October 6, 2011  138.17 USD *

Days In Transit: 2 Schedule by
Tuesday
25.0 lbs.    
UPS 3 Day Select®   11:00 A.M.
Tuesday
October 4, 2011
By End of Day,
Friday
October 7, 2011  89.72 USD *

Days In Transit: 3 Schedule by
10:00 A.M.
Tuesday
25.0 lbs.    
UPS Ground   11:00 A.M.
Tuesday
October 4, 2011
By End of Day,
Tuesday
October 11, 2011  36.91 USD *

Days In Transit: 5 Schedule by
10:00 A.M.
Tuesday
25.0 lbs.    
UPS Express Critical  
Our same-day service provides U.S. customers with reliable delivery of urgent shipments to every U.S. address and more than 180 countries worldwide.  Get a UPS Express Critical Quote
12 years ago
accentedbyiron wrote:
... In this order there are 108 items ...
Tracey

(Seems like it's shipping multiple packages)
nop 2.x
Do the shipping rate calculators treat each line item as a separate package?
If not, do the shipping rate calculators even take into account that multiple line items may not be able to be shipped in the same box? - e.g. Two boxes that equal the same weight of a single box costs more to ship
10 years ago
I have the same issue.  

I'm running 2.65.  I'm using USPS API, and I think nopCommerce is by default assuming each line item will be shipped in a separate package (or is adding the dimensions together improperly) instead of adding the dimensions and weights together for each line item to get one dimensional weight for the shipment.

For example, I have a product with shipping dimensions 10" x 8" x 1", 0.6 lbs.  I'm adding $4.00 per line item and $1.95 per order for addl. handling.  If I add just 1 item to my cart, the shipping cost for USPS Priority Mail is calculated at approx. $12.00, which is correct, approx. $6.00 shipping cost + $6.00 addl. handling.

But if I add 3 of these items to my cart, the shipping calc. comes back at approx. $44, which includes $14 for addl. handling, thus approx. $30 in actual postage.  This is not correct since three of these items would be 10" x 8" x 3" and 1.8 lbs., and postage just slightly more than shipping just 1 item.

Does a more recent version of nopCommerce fix this issue?

Thanks for any insight you have!
10 years ago
The USPS calculation uses "Get Total" for lengths/widths/heights, thus total length for 3 of your items would be 10 + 10 + 10 = 30 (and same for width & height), and then it calculates number of packages.  I've blogged about the issue several months ago and provided a "cubed root" solution.  This problem was never fixed for USPS  (It was fixed for FedEx ).  You can custom code the USPS plugin using the code from FedEx plugin.  Or, you can use Shipping Director's packing feature with the existing plugin.  Use the Contact Us link on at [url=www.noptools.com]noptools.com[/url] if you need more info.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.