Getting started. Installing and upgrading nopCommerce.

8 years ago
Hello!

I've encountered a problem upgrading nopCommerce from 3.60 to 3.70.
Maybe there's a problem with me interpreting the instructions but it reads as following:
(I've skipped to the part where I got confused)

1. Remove all files from the previous version. As you deploy, make sure that the target App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt files aren't overwritten, so that the production site continues to point to the production database.

2. Upload the new site files

3. Copy back Settings.txt and InstalledPlugins.txt files into App_Data directory

This is how I interpreted it:

1. First step is to remove all the files from the ftppath where the site is deployed.
? Leave the two .txt files intact ?
3. Upload (Publish) new version to the FTP path.
4. ? Copy back the .txt files which already have been left there ?

This is how I actually did it:

1. Remove all files from the ftp where the site is deployed.
2. Upload (Publish) new version to the site.
3. Copy back both .txt files so that the site can connect to the database.

I still get an error thought.. and that is why I'm posting this. (And yes.. I've done the whole procedure not this part only).
8 years ago
Do you update database and do you use updated plugin and theme ?
8 years ago
Hello!

As stated already. I've done all steps and that include running the script on the database.

No, I don't use any plugins.

The reason for me posting in the first place is that I feel that the formulation of the instructions can be improved. That is if I am correct.
8 years ago
I'm reading the instructions yet again and cannot stop to wonder:

1. Get the latest nopCommerce package.
2. Make a backup of everything in your site, including the database. This is extremely important so that you can roll back to a running site no matter what happens during migration.
3. You have to upgrade stepwise. For example, if your current version is 2.00 and the latest available version is 2.30, then you have to upgrade to 2.10, then to 2.20, and then to 2.30. So download the required upgrade scripts from our Downloads page.
4. Once an upgrade script is downloaded, execute it over your database.
5. Remove all files from the previous version. As you deploy, make sure that the target App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt files aren't overwritten, so that the production site continues to point to the production database.
6.Upload the new site files
7.Copy back Settings.txt and InstalledPlugins.txt files into App_Data directory
8. Ensure that everything is OK

Section 5:

Is section 5 only for the purpose of telling the user to remove all files from the previous version in Visual Studio IF you are upgrading from more then one version? Etc. 3.30->3.40->3.50 and so on so forth?
8 years ago
Rojiva wrote:
I'm reading the instructions yet again and cannot stop to wonder:

1. Get the latest nopCommerce package.
2. Make a backup of everything in your site, including the database. This is extremely important so that you can roll back to a running site no matter what happens during migration.
3. You have to upgrade stepwise. For example, if your current version is 2.00 and the latest available version is 2.30, then you have to upgrade to 2.10, then to 2.20, and then to 2.30. So download the required upgrade scripts from our Downloads page.
4. Once an upgrade script is downloaded, execute it over your database.
5. Remove all files from the previous version. As you deploy, make sure that the target App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt files aren't overwritten, so that the production site continues to point to the production database.
6.Upload the new site files
7.Copy back Settings.txt and InstalledPlugins.txt files into App_Data directory
8. Ensure that everything is OK

Section 5:

Is section 5 only for the purpose of telling the user to remove all files from the previous version in Visual Studio IF you are upgrading from more then one version? Etc. 3.30->3.40->3.50 and so on so forth?

You have to do section 5 when you upgrade one version also.
8 years ago
Exactly.

We're back at the point of figuring out if I'm interpreting wrong or right.

Why does the instructions say:

"As you deploy, make sure that the target App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt files aren't overwritten"

and later

"Copy back Settings.txt and InstalledPlugins.txt files into App_Data directory"
7 years ago
Hi there! Looking through available themes, I came across one which is really good for me, but its just for version 3.5, but I could download only the latest one. How could I make this theme work on 3.7?
7 years ago
Aleks100 wrote:
Hi there! Looking through available themes, I came across one which is really good for me, but its just for version 3.5, but I could download only the latest one. How could I make this theme work on 3.7?

First copy and past the theme to the Presentation==>Nop.Web==>Themes. After that select the theme from front end you will get some error because at nopcommerce 3.7 some properties are added and removed.

Like at "Presentation==>Nop.Web==>Themes==>(nopcommerce3.5 theme)==>Views==>Catalog==>TopMenu.cshtml"

there is a line like

if (Model.RecentlyAddedProductsEnabled)
                {
                    <li><a href="@Url.RouteUrl("RecentlyAddedProducts")">@T("Products.NewProducts")</a>
                    </li>
                }

which is not present at nopcommerce 3.7's TopMenu.cshtml. So what you need to change to make it works you need to go to the default nopcomeerce 3.7's "TopMenu.cshtml" and see what are the changes of this view occur at nopcommerce 3.7 then change the same things at your nopcommerce 3.5's theme.

In short where you face error try to see the default view and fix it at the nopcommerce 3.5's theme.
7 years ago
Hi
I have installed nopcommerce , however I get to the stage were I need to start the site for the first time however every time I try to create the site admin email address and password it gives me an error saying database does not exist or I do not have permission to connect to the database,Yet I have access and admin rights.

Please can you confirm what username and password is used here , as I am using the username and password I created on the nopcomerce sight when I registered. I also tried to use my windows auth login and that also won't work.

Please assist.
olivia
[email protected]
7 years ago
PLease ignore post , managed to login to site, thanx