Can we have some Documentation please, so we can help develop this fine product?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
Some detailed documentation would be really useful.
14 years ago
You can find existing documentation here. New complete user guide (PDF) for nopCommerce 1.4 will be ready within 4 weeks.
14 years ago
Hi Andrei

The link you provided does not explain much.

I want to set the project up in Visual Studio 2008. I can mess around with it to get it going,
but i am sure this is not what you had in mind. I have simply unzipped the rar file containing
the source code, and opened the solution and source files. However, non of the pages can be opened because
the relative directory structure is completely wrong.
Visual Studio complains about the application root directory.
I am happy to help you sort it out, but I suspect you already know exactly how the structure should be setup.
The problem is, you have published the rar file with a solution that does not work out of the box, which suggests
the version you are working with differs somehow.

So, the question is:
What is your intended folder structure to further develop the source code?

Plus, can I recommend you choose an alternative forum software package.
This one is not going to work long term. It is a bit basic, and will not provide a good foundation as
a long term knowlegde base. This app serves simply to host disccussion threads, rather than document
solutions to real world problems.
There are plenty of free open source products about. Flags indicating whether a question has been resolved are
important, otherwise, visitors have to read through endless tedious discussion threads, only to disover that the
question did not actually get resolved.

Well done so far though. It is a very promising effort.

Regards
Talia
14 years ago
Hi, so can we get an URGENT answer to this issue that is affecting EVERYONE that tries to load your project.

We know there will be a simple answer, but it needs to appear in the DOCUMENTATION link, or at the very least, in a read me file.

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 91:       </expressionBuilders>
Line 92:     </compilation>
Line 93:     <authentication mode="Forms">
Line 94:       <forms name="NOPCOMMERCE.AUTH" loginUrl="~/Login.aspx" protection="All" timeout="43200" path="/" requireSSL="false" slidingExpiration="true" defaultUrl="~/default.aspx" enableCrossAppRedirects="false"/>
Line 95:     </authentication>

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\nopCommerce\nopcommercestore\web.config    Line: 93
14 years ago
Natalia:

"I am happy to help you sort it out, but I suspect you already know exactly how the structure should be setup.
The problem is, you have published the rar file with a solution that does not work out of the box, which suggests
the version you are working with differs somehow."

I doubt the nopCOmmerce team is referring to a different version.

Do some digging thru this news group and you'll see that many have got it "working out of the box".

Others with some help here.

You may also wish to read the error message more closely which may give you a clue in solving the problem you are experiencing.

Screaming with uppercase will probably not get you far in any newsgroup.
14 years ago
Yes, we can read the messages, but the solution file should be configured as working directly. Otherwise, some easy modifications would break your original solution file.

So, you are not sure what this error is then!

Talia xxx
14 years ago
SCREAMING ABOUT A LACK OF DOCUMENTATION WHEN THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE VERY FIRST THING RELEASED IS NOT A CRIME.
It would have taken just an hour or so to have provided some really useful basic guides on the recommended development environment settings. The real stuff could come later.

IF YOU WANT THE COMMUNITY TO CONTRIBUTE THEIR VERY VALUABLE HARD WORK AND EFFORT FOR THE BENEFIT OF THIS COMMUNITY, THEN YOU SHOULD SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS IN WRITING, RATHER THAN EXPECTING US TO REVERSE ENGINEER THE SOURCE CODE.

I am sure I am not the only developer who would love to contribute the bits you need to meet the objectives of your roadmap, but do not have the time or inclination to try and guess how the whole thing is supposed to work.

If someone responded with an actual answer and not an offer to sort it out for a price, then we would not feel the need to shout loudly for documentation.

So, I am hoping this gentle nudge to publish your UML interaction and sequence diagrams is taken as it is intended and not a dig at your hard work.

So, I will change the capitals, in anticipation of the coming documentation and answers.

Talia, xxx
14 years ago
Natalia,

Thanks for suggestions!

So you get to following error: "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS". You need to configure your virtual directory as an application. Try the following link - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb763173.aspx
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.