Promote nopCommerce

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
9 years ago
nopCommerce is mature e-commerce platform, however not very much popular compared to other open-source alternatives. I need community help to promote nopCommerce at every place possible.  On the public forums, review sites, blog sites, developer networks, codeplex, everywhere.

If you like the nopCommerce and using it for one of your site, then now is the time to pay back.

Some links where you can post your review about nopCommerce:

http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/nopcommerce.aspx
https://nopcommerce.codeplex.com/
http://www.ecommercespot.com/carts/nopCommerce.aspx

I welcome your ideas about the same to promote nopCommerce.

Let's discuss.
9 years ago
Hi Krunal,

Thanks a lot. I would really appreciate it.

By the way, I've recently worked on a list of marketing steps (and other enhancements) to be taken in the near time. For example:
1. I've already prepared a list of marketing articles and whitepapers (about e-commerce) which will be written and published in the near time (currently looking for a good content writer).
2. A series of screencasts
3. Better solution partnership program (no certain details yet)
4. Enhancements of some pages of the official site. For example, more descriptive and user-friendly "feature list" page, etc.
5. More official plugins (payment gateways mostly)
6. Social media marketing (our social network pages)
7. A lot of other minor enhancements
9 years ago
I have been also been collecting some things to start this post in a day or two but as it has started so I will add to Andrei's list:

1) Very debatable but honestly we need to make the documentation open to all and build it in the form of a Wiki and a very rich Blog. It will help in many ways
    a) SEO redirects
    b) Many people download nopC and have abandoned it due to the frustration of not having enough documentation openly         available, the easier and less expensive it is to learn a product the quickly it will be adopted.
    c) In our forums we see the same questions being repeated over and over again which wastes the time of the developers and community members and increases the number of repeated posts, a decent blog would help build a knowledge base which should have tags and descriptive topics
   d) We need some very good articles or blogs or maybe topics on the official about the practical implications of nopC like how it can be customized for the service industry or for travel agents or even hospitals. We need to put some authentic case studies which will build the confidence of customers in nopC

2) Content, content and more content should be generated on different forums relevant to e-commerce and shopping carts promoting nopC. We have a feature rich product and people have problems with other carts. I know it might look bad in cases but that is how the corporate world works

3) Books go a long way in portraying to the world that some product is mature enough for the world to start accepting. I saw a book recently come out but it is a very basic one. We need books on the development/customization/theming part of nopC and also a good pratical guide on the practical applications of nopC as mentioned above in the documentation section

4) This leads to first having an extensive developer documentation not in the form of forum posts but blogs and Wikis. This has already been requested many times on the forum also. Every software is built on the same technologies like .Net or PHP but there are always product specific details such as APIs, web service details, overall architectural understanding like class hierarchies and schema explanations. These will give developers a head start as the learning curve is extremely steep now for a new developer

5) We desperately need a better change log for each release with more explanation of each feature added instead of just a line of text. I was having a look at OpenErp few days back and they had a change log for their new release of 70 pages. Also I keep track of the changes happening by looking at the change set comments on codeplex. Firstly, it is very difficult to keep track of the changes on a specific feature as implementation spans many commits. Secondly the comments normally lack the way a feature has to be used, it is easy for simpler features but for complex features it virtually impossible to know all the details of the implementation steps and sub features. This leads to multiple posts of understanding the functionality and multiple theories by people who experiment with the feature e.g. in the case of new product logic this is very evident by looking at the posts made by the community. The developer is in the best position to point everyone in the right direction and avoid chaos.

6) We need more partnerships and plugins to integrate with bigger giants who have a huge customer base. I always select the software that has better integration out of the box with different functions of business such as finance(Quickbooks), Marketing(Mailchimp), Chat(Olark), Feedback(UserVoice), Sales(SalesForce), CRM(MS Dynamics/Zoho CRM). This will be a tremendous marketing tool as I have learnt of many new unknown softwares just through looking at extensions of these giants

Lastly I think this all is not meant to increase any over head on the developers. We have a brilliant community which can contribute heavily in each part outlined above. I am also offering my services for content writing if needed so.
8 years ago
infiniti wrote:
I have been also been collecting some things to start this post in a day or two but as it has started so I will add to Andrei's list:

1) Very debatable but honestly we need to make the documentation open to all and build it in the form of a Wiki and a very rich Blog. It will help in many ways
    a) SEO redirects
    b) Many people download nopC and have abandoned it due to the frustration of not having enough documentation openly         available, the easier and less expensive it is to learn a product the quickly it will be adopted.
    c) In our forums we see the same questions being repeated over and over again which wastes the time of the developers and community members and increases the number of repeated posts, a decent blog would help build a knowledge base which should have tags and descriptive topics
   d) We need some very good articles or blogs or maybe topics on the official about the practical implications of nopC like how it can be customized for the service industry or for travel agents or even hospitals. We need to put some authentic case studies which will build the confidence of customers in nopC

2) Content, content and more content should be generated on different forums relevant to e-commerce and shopping carts promoting nopC. We have a feature rich product and people have problems with other carts. I know it might look bad in cases but that is how the corporate world works

3) Books go a long way in portraying to the world that some product is mature enough for the world to start accepting. I saw a book recently come out but it is a very basic one. We need books on the development/customization/theming part of nopC and also a good pratical guide on the practical applications of nopC as mentioned above in the documentation section

4) This leads to first having an extensive developer documentation not in the form of forum posts but blogs and Wikis. This has already been requested many times on the forum also. Every software is built on the same technologies like .Net or PHP but there are always product specific details such as APIs, web service details, overall architectural understanding like class hierarchies and schema explanations. These will give developers a head start as the learning curve is extremely steep now for a new developer


6) We need more partnerships and plugins to integrate with bigger giants who have a huge customer base. I always select the software that has better integration out of the box with different functions of business such as finance(Quickbooks), Marketing(Mailchimp), Chat(Olark), Feedback(UserVoice), Sales(SalesForce), CRM(MS Dynamics/Zoho CRM). This will be a tremendous marketing tool as I have learnt of many new unknown softwares just through looking at extensions of these giants

Lastly I think this all is not meant to increase any over head on the developers. We have a brilliant community which can contribute heavily in each part outlined above. I am also offering my services for content writing if needed so.


I certainly agree with you on this. +1

It will be great if nopCommerce team can discuss on the same what they think about it, and if it is planned then community members will be happy to contribute towards it.

I would also like to advise on upgrading nopCommerce website, there are many suggestions we already have provided by community members on forum for the same.
8 years ago
Hello,

Although I am not as proficient with the technology used in nopCommerce, I do like the product itself and have installed two sites.  It seems to be very stable and provides a lot of features.

The ideas and thoughts presented here are forward looking and presented by people that seem to know what they are talking about concerning ecommerce and promoting a product on the web.

I am constantly reading and learning about the technical end of nopCommerce and hope that some day I will have the skills to add a plugin or widget to provide more functionality to the product.

I wish I had more resources and more prospects to promote nopCommerce to, but I'm just an old COBOL programmer trying to learn how to code ASP.NET/MVC/Razor/JScript.

I would like to offer my limited capabilities to help make nopCommerce more successful.

Thanks,
Tony
8 years ago
a.m. wrote:

4. Enhancements of some pages of the official site. For example, more descriptive and user-friendly "feature list" page, etc.

Suggestion: After description of a feature include links to front/back-end demo store where the feature can be viewed.
8 years ago
am wrote:

4. Enhancements of some pages of the official site. For example, more descriptive and user-friendly "feature list" page, etc.


The Codeplex is the 2nd source of traffic (6%) for the Nop site. Suggestions:
- In the home page show a sexier image, or maybe several images, of the Nop front end. See this example
- Show off about the one million+ downloads as in here

In Nop front end demo show more modern products such as tablets and update images such as of build your own computer
8 years ago
eadameg wrote:

4. Enhancements of some pages of the official site. For example, more descriptive and user-friendly "feature list" page, etc.

The Codeplex is the 2nd source of traffic (6%) for the Nop site. Suggestions:
- In the home page show a sexier image, or maybe several images, of the Nop front end. See this example
- Show off about the one million+ downloads as in here

In Nop front end demo show more modern products such as tablets and update images such as of build your own computer

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for suggestions.

By the way, alexa traffic details are always very inaccurate. According to Google Analytics codeplex is less than 2% of all traffic.
8 years ago
a.m. wrote:

By the way, alexa traffic details are always very inaccurate. According to Google Analytics codeplex is less than 2% of all traffic.

Its good to know that.
8 years ago
A good improvement has been done in the Nop home page in Codeplex.

IMHO it would be more approrpiate to say   "It has been downloaded more than 1.5 million times!" instead  than " It was downloaded more than 1.5 million times!"
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.