Help with Year Make Model auto parts

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
10 years ago
Hello I am looking for help to develop a Year Make Model (plugin for nopCommerce)
I have been coding websites since 1997 and very familiar with MS SQL, .net but new to nopCommerce, auto parts and vehicle ecommerce platform.

The client has around 1300 items, I am thinking we would need tables YEAR, MAKE AND MODEL with a lookup table to relate to the Products that meet the criteria.

If there is someone to quote the job or collaborate (pay and we can offer it back to nopCommerce)
Thanks Russ
10 years ago
Hi

How about using product specification attributes , attributes of Make ,Model and Year.

So then you could have a category of say brake parts, which can be filtered by Make Model and year

No additional code is required to do the above, it's all built in.
10 years ago
Hello, we will be happy to help you with your nopCommerce projects.  You can review our portfolio. Last two months we developed about 8 projects like yours and usually we charge about 300-600$ for each plugin. It's a rough quote. Our developer who will implement your project will be able to provide your with the exact quote. I would be happy to provide more information upon request.
Sincerely, Konstantin.
10 years ago
Hello Russ,
            I take it you didn't get any satisfactory responses?  We are currently in the same boat, determining what approach to take for an appropriate auto parts lookup.   We have an Epicor(Activant) catalog in house that we utilize for lookups.   If I run a console app and iterate over the past 20 years of makes, models, and engines, I come up with some 30 million records.   That is just the manufacturers that we carry.    I'm not convinced yet that this is doable in nopCommerce.  Would love to here from those who have attempted..............Thanks, Deano
10 years ago
deanodew wrote:
Hello Russ,
            I take it you didn't get any satisfactory responses?  We are currently in the same boat, determining what approach to take for an appropriate auto parts lookup.   We have an Epicor(Activant) catalog in house that we utilize for lookups.   If I run a console app and iterate over the past 20 years of makes, models, and engines, I come up with some 30 million records.   That is just the manufacturers that we carry.    I'm not convinced yet that this is doable in nopCommerce.  Would love to here from those who have attempted..............Thanks, Deano

Hi, with that huge size of catalog it will be interesting to see how it performs. Have you tried with nopCommerce yet? If you're interested we will be happy to work together with you for this to see how nopCommerce can be scaled to support such huge catalog. Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks
10 years ago
We are also looking to create a year/make/model plugin and would love to collaborate with someone else and divide up the work.  We have already started work on a plugin but its not yet complete.

The way I see it, the existing solution currently has a 2 tier attribute schema:
tier 1: specification attributes
tier 2: specification attribute options
with a many-to-many relationship between tier 2 and products

What is needed is a 3 tier structure to satify the Y/M/M schema, so going from least to most specific:
tier 1: make
tier 2: model
tier 3: year
with a many-to-many relationship between tier 3 and products

As the tier 1-3 tables can have generic names to allow implementation of other products that may utilize a 3 tier schema, this poses several options.  
Option 1:
No code changes - Denormalize tier 2 and tier 3 into a single record and just use the existing specification attribute tables. So for example, add a specification attribute name: Toyota, then add many options to Toyota such as: 2003 camry, 2004 camry, 2003 corolla, 2004 corolla, etc.  This would potentially work, but its not ideal, and has its limitations.
Option 2:
We can extend the existing specification attribute tables, and add one more table to handle tier 3.
Option 3:
Create a completely new set of 3 tables. This would be the most ideal situation, with maximum flexibility and seperation into it a separate pice of functionality.

The GUI functionality should also have some differences, as this should return products without having to drill down into a category.

If the NOP Commerce team could create something to do this functionality would really be the best option, as this type of implementation goes beyond a "plugin", and is more of a core functionality, especially since entity framework does not allow creating a many-to-many relationship from a new plugin table to an existing table.

If anyone has some ideas, or wants to help, would love to hear about it. Our site is located here.  
Thanks.
10 years ago
Any update on this, would really like to see this functionality.
10 years ago
This is not doable in nopCommerce with any regard to efficiency or performance.    We are having a Shopping Cart and Customer Management System solution customized with the Catalog data housed in and easily updateable SQL server......
10 years ago
deanodew wrote:
This is not doable in nopCommerce with any regard to efficiency or performance.    We are having a Shopping Cart and Customer Management System solution customized with the Catalog data housed in and easily updateable SQL server......

Sorry, I do not agree with you regarding performance. This is doable and with some changes can get it to work with the best performance. If you need some assistance, PM me.
10 years ago
Hello, I was able to collaborate and  get a plugin created to do a MMYM   - Mfg (GM) - Make (Chevy) - Year - Model
We hope to launch site in the next week at which time we can get details to the forum.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.