Minimum memory requirements for Nopcommerce

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
9 years ago
blytha wrote:
VPS - Virtual Private Server? Has anyone experience of the overhead of using this? Also it will be in addition to the hosting cost for SQL Server database!

Hi

I have set up my own VPS server because of the problems of hosting nopCommerce on pile em high sell em cheap hosting companies, who will in some case tell you that memory is not the problem, but my experience is that these hosting companies will force the application pool to recycle when it hit's the memory limit they have deemed to be the maximum for the efficiency of there server  which seems to be set around an average of 200Mb, the other problem is that they will set the server up to kick the application out of memory by regularly recycling the application pool , so the first time access can be very slow a lot of the time on sites that are not so busy.

On my own VPS I recycle the application pool 1 time every 24hours just to ensure it is flushed out, and allocate sufficient memory to nopCommece to function properly.
9 years ago
After each recycle it also drop a customer from checkout flow.
9 years ago
I'm playing with ANTS memory and performance profilers for the last 3 days. A lot of performance changesets have been committed.I see that significant part of memory is allocated by unmanaged code.  But still cannot find reasons of such memory requirement.
9 years ago
Don't forget that nopCommerce does a lot of caching using the ASP.NET MemoryCache.
It would be interesting to see if memory usage drops when you switch off the cache (which can only be done in code I think?).
The downside of that would of course be that page loads will be slightly slower.
9 years ago
Just what I thought. It would be great to have an option to disable caching. We would check easy.

Memory usage very critical, it limit nopCommerce use. Many people don't want to spend money :)
9 years ago
TomvE wrote:
Don't forget that nopCommerce does a lot of caching using the ASP.NET MemoryCache.
It would be interesting to see if memory usage drops when you switch off the cache (which can only be done in code I think?).
The downside of that would of course be that page loads will be slightly slower.

Adding to my post above I can say that these objects cached between requests do not require really much memory according to ANTS memory profiler (maybe, about 15-20MB). Of course, it all depends on your catalog (number of products, categories, etc)
9 years ago
Interesting.

Are you able to share some screenshots or logs from ANTS here? Would be interesting to see where the memory is being used. And maybe someone will have a suggestion on where that unmanaged code/memory is being used.
9 years ago
TomvE wrote:
Interesting.

Are you able to share some screenshots or logs from ANTS here? Would be interesting to see where the memory is being used. And maybe someone will have a suggestion on where that unmanaged code/memory is being used.

Hi Tom,

There are a lot of screenshots and a lot of reports. You can download ANTS Memory Profiler here and just run it over your nopCommerce diretory. It has 14 days free trial.
9 years ago
I don't know if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982854  will be of help.

Following problems yesterday with our site where we had intermittent page failures - when I used their Plesk control panel to try to copy the database the error "There is insufficient system memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query. (Error code 1)"  came up.

They patched the server overnight and all is hunky dory again today
9 years ago
So yesterday I had a quick play with the trial version of .NET Memory Profiler, which also has the option to track unmanaged resources.

I tried it out on a standard nopCommerce v3.30 installation (using the default demo catalog).
Interestingly enough there was about 410 MB assigned as unmanaged code, which was tracked down to the kernel virtual memory. When looking into the instances using the Unmanaged Resource Tracker it seems there are quite a lot of instances related to WebGrease (various CSS and JS bundling functions).

My next step would be to disable WebGrease and see what effect that has on the overall memory usage.
Of course WebGrease's bundling and minification is very useful, so I would rather leave it switched on.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.