Please dump Arvixe as one of your recommended hosts

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
New York wrote:
...problem with database restore error.
...Cannot open backup device
'C:\Users\WPServer\AppData\Local\Temp\fed771ec-f37a-43b6-914b-686ec0b144a1\PhuongNam-Web-13Nov15-10PM46.bak'.
Operating system error 5(Access is denied.)...

C:\Users\WPServer\AppData\Local\Temp\... is very odd path for restore.  Are you being prompted to enter a source path?  (what are you entering?  where did you upload your .bak file to?)

The SQL server is not configured correctly for integration with the panel.  The path shown in the error is actually not odd at all.

When a panel user initiates a back-up session (from a web panel), the server launches a task which backs up the db to a temp location, and then moves the file to another location. The process initiates as a WPAdmin group process, not a user process. The WPAdmin group account is created by WebsitePanel when the server component is installed on the server, and it needs permissions to the temp folder location for the process to complete successfully.  The temp folder permissions ARE NOT created by WebsitePanel when installed because the same WebsitePanel server component runs on servers NOT running SQL as well. Any server admin who is familiar with deploying WebsitePanel running on SQL server instances knows you must configure this this part manually for all WebsitePanel SQL Server installations. It must have been overlooked on deployment, because this is a rookie mistake. Also, if the panel is set up to access SQL with windows authentication (rather than SQL authentication) this problem is avoided, but windows authentication is typically only used if the SQL instance is running on the same server (or domain) as the client websites, whereas using SQL authentication allows the SQL server to be anywhere that will URL resolve, which is a better solution for hosting providers because it spreads server workloads out in a more manageable way.

All web panel users that have a database residing on the server would be affected by this problem, not just one user's account. The hosting provider (server admin) needs to fix this.  There is NOTHING the user can do to resolve the issue. (except submit a trouble ticket)

Note: When managing backups directly from SQL Server Management Studio, you are typically logged on with a built-in server admin account, which DOES have access to an associated hidden system temp folder, and the process just runs in the background so you never really know that the server is actually creating the file in the temp location FIRST, and then moving it to the back-up location specified.

Ron
8 years ago
"Rookie mistake" lol
8 years ago
groundzero2010 wrote:
"Rookie mistake" lol

I referred to this as a "rookie mistake" because the problem will surface the very first time you provision a stand-alone SQL Server instance (using SQL authentication) along with WebsitePanel enabled client accounts.  Most seasoned server admins will remember to make sure the server is provisioned correctly for this once it happens to them.  It is all part of the seasoning... LOL!
8 years ago
Perhaps I should send ArchVixen an invoice for my tech support help (for their server admins) here on the nopcommerce forum.   :-)

I don't think this issue is actually well documented by WebsitePanel, (been a while since I have needed to review the WSP documentation so it may have been updated).  So, as far as I know, this server error requires a bit of digging on the MS support site to figure out what is going on, because it is actually a problem stemming from and in regard to SQL integration with third party applications. (in this case WebsitePanel)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.