Re-design and simplify admin area. Let's discuss

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
RoastedBytes wrote:
Andrei,
One thing I think that's must of any user interface is that user should know his current position and any operation performed on any page, should redirect him to proper target page.

e.g. Right now, in case of multi-store website, when I am changing settings that belong to any particular tab (e.g. Localization Settings) and I change the store, the general perception is that I would want to change the Localization settings of another store, but current interfaces takes us Store Information tab.

This thing must be rectified for all the pages where javascript tabs are being used. A possible way could be to use history api or hash values in the url to keep track of user visited tabs.

Thanks! Moved to a separate work item
8 years ago
Not too sure if it's part of it but would like to abe able to bulk edit categories, just the same way we do with products. As well, as I am using a fairly large screen, it would be nice if we could scale the view in admin area for any tables showing, just similar to what we do within Excel where you could enlarge a column.
8 years ago
Hi Andrei,

Is it possible re-design Admin area using Angular Js?
8 years ago
sohelcse10_duet wrote:
Hi Andrei,

Is it possible re-design Admin area using Angular Js?

We haven't thought about it yet.

But I can say that most probably we'll go with AdminLTE. Looks like it's the only actively developed theme today (although there were no commits for the last two months as well). So still thinking about it
8 years ago
a.m. wrote:

But I can say that most probably we'll go with AdminLTE. Looks like it's the only actively developed theme today (although there were no commits for the last two months as well). So still thinking about it

I checked it(AdminLTE) looks fine. I suggest to create Admin area using Angular Js. I think Admin Area is a SPA. Isn't it?
8 years ago
Do not forget to consider making the admin area separated from main site URL, it will increase the security a lot and we could use other methods to prevent admin attacks, ip restriction, firewalls, local admin only and etc.

Ivan.
8 years ago
ivanslater wrote:
Do not forget to consider making the admin area separated from main site URL, it will increase the security a lot and we could use other methods to prevent admin attacks, ip restriction, firewalls, local admin only and etc.

Ivan.

Agreed with Ivan's suggestions.

We should also make it in such a way that admin project can be hosted separately that way it can be hosted locally or on a different server. For busy sites, certain changes in admin severely  affects front-end site's performance, especially when there are multiple admin users working at the same time.
8 years ago
I think one cannot construct the ideal user interface, store-owners must have an option of adapting the interface to their individual needs.
The ideal admin area in my vision would be customizable. Every merchant has his own individual workflow. Most common, the daily routine of running a shop is reduced to 3-4 actions. This actions must be at reach, ideally on the main dashboard side to side with statistics or one click away.
I think it is possible with some admin-area constructor. The merchant himself just drags and drops desired modules onto the dashboard without clicking other tabs and create his ideal admin area.
8 years ago
Exactly this I had in minde when wrote this post. But again this topic worte by another user showing how important it can be.

Will agree also with Ivans security post. That is very good suggestion.
8 years ago
Thanks for suggestions! Please vote for work item about separate admin area here
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.