Shopify vs. NOP

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
DannyO wrote:
I'm willing to bet only a few nopCommerce stores have actual programming departments.

Many developers use nopCommerce as a way to get a customer's ecommerce site up and running quickly, keeping the customers' cost down.  So, what you'd pay in only a year (in many cases less) to Shopify you can essentially pay to a developer one time, and only worry about hosting after that, saving you gobs of money years down the line.

I think you're probably right there are only a handful of NOPcommerce stores with programming departments, but how many are successful over $1mil/year that DONT have dev departments?

I think a developer setting up a clients site on NOPcommerce is an excellent idea, for the developer, not for the user who is now on the hook to use that developer for anything they want to change, or hire a new developer to try and figure out what the old one did, and if there is a 3am problem, hope the developer answers his phone.

The idea that you're only going to have to pay a developer once is just silly, if you have a robust successful website, you are constantly split testing, modifying, changing, updating your site, layouts, headers, promos and content weekly at least or your dying.

On a similar note a quick check of some of the better sites (IMHO)in the top portion of the showcase (live shops);

Govx  has their own dev dept.
bullysticks has their own dev dept.
ACTIVEFOREVER.COM  No longer on NOP, Now Magento
smartfurniture.com No Longer on Nop (or they've hacked it alot)
reagan.com/dutchgear.com  No Longer on NOP (now Volusion)
housefull.co.in No Longer on NOP

leejeans.com.au. speedo.com.au, rockport.com.au reebok.com.au  looks like they are all managed by the same dev team.

Compare that to a quick google search of: Biggest shopify stores,   There are a ton.
8 years ago
DannyO wrote:
but in the real world how many big NopCommerce sites are there that do NOT have their own programming department? Vs. how many multi million dollar websites are out there that were started by grandmas, stay at home moms, and high school drop outs and just general people with no programming experience??   There's a bunch.

I'm willing to bet only a few nopCommerce stores have actual programming departments.

Many developers use nopCommerce as a way to get a customer's ecommerce site up and running quickly, keeping the customers' cost down.  So, what you'd pay in only a year (in many cases less) to Shopify you can essentially pay to a developer one time, and only worry about hosting after that, saving you gobs of money years down the line.

I fully agree! With the proposed redesign and simplification of the admin, life in Nop for store owners with no programing experience will be much easier
8 years ago
CaseyW wrote:
On a similar note a quick check of some of the better sites (IMHO)in the top portion of the showcase (live shops);

Govx  has their own dev dept.
bullysticks has their own dev dept.
dhccare.com No longer NOP
ACTIVEFOREVER.COM  No longer on NOP, Now Magento
smartfurniture.com No Longer on Nop (or they've hacked it alot)
reagan.com/dutchgear.com  No Longer on NOP (now Volusion)
housefull.co.in No Longer on NOP

leejeans.com.au. speedo.com.au, rockport.com.au reebok.com.au  looks like they are all managed by the same dev team

Hi Casey,

Thanks. housefull.co.in and activeforever.com really don't use nopCommerce anymore. But the other ones still use it.

By the way, we'll add about 500 new sites to the showcase today with some really great sites/brands (almost finished)
8 years ago
a.m. wrote:
By the way, we'll add about 500 new sites to the showcase today with some really great sites/brands (almost finished)

Done. Please check it out. Among new additions are BMW,  Casio, Canon, Targus, Alcatel and much more. Check out the new list here. And a lot of other sites will be added later

P.S. We also have paging and filtering by category support on the official site roadmap.
8 years ago
I just want to express that I am not a programmer and yet, I am also running (starting) my e-commerce business through NopCommerce. I did some search prior to choosing NopCommerce and Shopify, Etsy, Ebay, Amazone... they were all considered. However, the fact that I will be also serving French customers, it was important to me that I could get access to the language resources so that I could translate whatever I needed to. As well, it is true that I do spend a lot of my time, right now, in managing the site but I certainly appreciate the support I am getting from NopCommerce team and others like Nop-Templates (from whom I have actually purchased my website team). The network on NopCommerce is incredible and I am very pleased with my choice. Because I am just starting I certainly did not want to invest big dollars in web development. Although I am not a web designer, I do have web design software and am able to play enough with it to undertand the basics. But I rely on the experts in this Forum to assist me with more complex issues. Another thing: For the kind of business I am running, Shopify does not allow a "reseller" approach to it. It is quite understandable as it would be considered as a "shopify" within a "shopify". With the number of improvements undertaken by NopCommerce, this is an area I will be looking for so that I can have the ability to hosts stores on my plateform, based on various hosting plans and vendor management components.
8 years ago
TY for the information, have decided to go with NOP, and NOP - template, will keep posted
7 years ago
Everyone is missing an important piece of information

Do you guys manually adding products to your store ?  I have 300 products in a XSL file

To import in nopcommerce , I have to download all images in a folder , create XSL for nop and then fix errors  in XSL and then import  and then update missing SEO for the products Takes about 5 hours for around 500 products
Shopify imports everything in few minutes and creates all SEO by itself

Most vendors are providing shopify ready files . Inkfrog can push all products from shopifu to ebay for about $9 a month so easy to manage ebay and shopify stores

Nop is greatbut I want to focus on business rather then fixing templates and issues.

Is there  a quick way to convert or create nopcommerce ready XSL files from Shopify?

I am most probably be moving to shopify because of this..
7 years ago
Have to write a bit of an addendum so my previous comments are not too one sided.  I'm a bit jealous that NOP has come along (IMHO) a LONG way in the last year or so, tons of cool new features, and I'm sure getting better in many ways with their CMS.  

Admittedly I'm also jealous of the folks who do have programming ability and am personally trying to learn as fast as I can, this is definitely an expansive career choice!

Different solutions for different people is always good for everyone.
7 years ago
we too are learning 'quickly' and do not have programming ability; however we have figured out how to bulk upload product files using the template provided in NOP; one thing with Shopify is once you upload your product file, you still need to load the product photos 1 by 1; in NOP you can create links to your photos;

however that said, am still trying to add tags to the product upload file in order to improve the search, any ideas?

cheers
7 years ago
sntheone wrote:
we too are learning 'quickly' and do not have programming ability; however we have figured out how to bulk upload product files using the template provided in NOP; one thing with Shopify is once you upload your product file, you still need to load the product photos 1 by 1; in NOP you can create links to your photos;

however that said, am still trying to add tags to the product upload file in order to improve the search, any ideas?

cheers

In Shopify you can bulk upload your photos and then just link to them in the upload just like you do in NOP, we do it for our Amazon store lists as well.  There are other advantages of NOP over Shopify though as I'm finding out. always plusses and minuses in everything.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.