FedEx Freight Rating?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
8 years ago
Hello, I see that the FedEx rate computation plugin has the Freight options listed as a service to return. But not seeing those rates coming back from a rate request. Does this logic work? What other logic does it use? i.e. Normally you may want Freight rates instead of parcel rates if the total weight of the order is > 150 lbs. Is there any sort of logic like that in the plugin?

Thanks,
Chad
8 years ago
Be sure your cart total is > 150 lbs ;)   However...
1) you may need to have Freight services enabled on your FedEx account
2) the FedEx plugin might show those services, but they may not actually be supported.  Freight rates typically require a Class, and possibly other attributes that the current plugin is not sending to the FedEx API.
8 years ago
I've been working on FedEx Freight myself.  It looks like there are no requests for freight rates based on the plugin source code for v3.60.  Despite the selected check boxes in the configuration section, the only rates being pulled are for FDXC (FedEx Cargo) and FDXG (FedEx Ground).

request.CarrierCodes = new RateServiceWebReference.CarrierCodeType[2];
// Insert the Carriers you would like to see the rates for
request.CarrierCodes[0] = RateServiceWebReference.CarrierCodeType.FDXC;
request.CarrierCodes[1] = RateServiceWebReference.CarrierCodeType.FDXG;

I thought it would be a quick fix to add one more carrier code for FXFR (FedEx Freight) but I was met with this error from the FedEx API.
The combination of carrier codes is invalid; FXFR is not allowed with the other requested types.

My next step will be to make two calls to the API and combine the result sets.
8 years ago
Thanks for the info...I think that is ok though...as in most cases from what I've seen, you'd do a mutually exclusive rating. i.e. if the total shipment weight is less than 150lbs get the parcel rates, otherwise get the freight rates. As such, you wouldn't be combining them.

That said, maybe your scenario is different.

So from what you are saying, to make the call for freight, you just need to add a request like so:
request.CarrierCodes[1] = RateServiceWebReference.CarrierCodeType.FXFR;
8 years ago
The mutually exclusive API call makes sense.  In my case, I need to use a different account number which the plugin doesn't have a place for in the configuration.  There's also the matter of figuring the LTL class and how to specify special services like Guaranteed Delivery (if you have the need).  This ended up being a lot more complicated than I had hoped.

I found these resources to be useful:
LTL Class - http://shipfreight.van.fedex.com/ClassificationTool.aspx
Special Services - http://images.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/AccessorialRates.pdf
8 years ago
fbranicky wrote:
The mutually exclusive API call makes sense.  In my case, I need to use a different account number which the plugin doesn't have a place for in the configuration.  There's also the matter of figuring the LTL class and how to specify special services like Guaranteed Delivery (if you have the need).  This ended up being a lot more complicated than I had hoped.

I found these resources to be useful:
LTL Class - http://shipfreight.van.fedex.com/ClassificationTool.aspx
Special Services - http://images.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/AccessorialRates.pdf

If anyone comes up with a solution, we would be happy to pay for it. We are switching platforms from aspdotnetstorefront. We have our regular fedex account and our freight account.

We originally paid a company called Compunix to do set up a plugin for our freight account on aspdnsf, but that has stopped working due to API changes so *right now* we are using con-way calculators for the checkout LTL freight rates.

We have 2 websites already running on nopCommerce with smaller items, but we can't launch the main site on this nopcommerce platform without FEDEX FREIGHT.
7 years ago
A cloned copy of the plugin is allowing both meters to pull rates, HOWEVER, I have been unable to build it from the source in order to call the freight rate. I know it is possible, and we need the new (nopCommerce) site to give our customers the Fedex Freight rate. Unfortunately neither of the plugins (running on 3.60) are retrieving the freight price from fedex. The fedex ground rate is ridiculously high for the large orders. However, we at least have rates coming from both meters now...

Will be installing Shipping Director in order to implement the logic to sort them by weight (111+lbs will be freight, 111-lbs will be ground.)

Our existing site pulls freight economy and freight priority rates. If we can just get one of the modules modified to get those prices, we will be set.

Just messaged nop4you back to see if they can do that. Fingers crossed. If not we need to find someone who can make this work. We have less than 2 weeks to launch.
7 years ago
(Also, the old plugin on the old aspdotnetstorefront site started working again mysteriously.)
7 years ago
preachur wrote:
...Will be installing Shipping Director in order to implement the logic to sort them by weight (111+lbs will be freight, 111-lbs will be ground.) ...

See this blog about freight.  If you know what your fixed rates are, you can set them up in Shipping By Weight.  If your rates are zone-based, then you'll need to set up each state; a pain yes, but it's a one-time set up.

Also, see this blog.  It's a bit more technical.  It could be modified to do Zone lookup by state rather than zip.  (You could even do that lookup in SD config - e.g. "NY,NJ,PA,...".Contains(State) ? "Zone1" : ... )  email us at support at noptools.com if you need more info.
6 years ago
Has anyone got FedEx Freight to work?  (would you please share what changes are needed? :)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.