Share hosting tips needed

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
7 years ago
Hi,

I have a couple of nop sites on smarterasp.net, performance seems ok, one 3.7 site has 200 products and the other is a fresh 3.8 (in progress) with about 10 products and growing. performance seems ok, bit naffed of at the amount of recycles as they are not used heavily and they are also in the advanced shared plan (cant afford anything higher!).

I have the keepalive set up on scheduled task, but that seems not to keep them alive, even if set to every minute, as they will suffer from slow startup from time to time (usually when demoing to client).

Looking for other peoples expeience/solution to keep it alive/warm in smarterasp.net shared plan, other options i thought was to purchase extra 256mb, or use an external ping (any free ones ou there) any thoughts please?

thanks, craig.
7 years ago
RE:  "amount of recycles "
Are you seeing "Application started" in the System > Log?
7 years ago
We've moved to Everleap Hosting with 1gb mem. Solved that problem and site comes up almost instantaneously. We do not have many products either but still had that problem.

Looks like 1gb mem is required no matter what the size of you site is.

accountpro-software.com

Host Everleap.com
7 years ago
I've also had trouble with a couple of sites not staying alive with the built-in keep-alive scheduled task. The solution for me was to create a free account at http://uptimerobot.com/. Just create an http monitor for your site and set the ping interval at 15 minutes.

Also, keep in mind that the keep alive scheduled task doesn't work correctly when your site is at a temporary URL. The store URL in store settings is what the keep alive attempts to "visit" in order to keep it alive..use uptimerobot when you are working with a dev site on a temporary address to keep it alive for clients to inspect..
7 years ago
hi embryo,
is the main problem with nopcomnmerce sites the fact that they go to sleep?
Im currently testing 3.8 as a new /alternative ecommerce platform.
Id like to run it on shared hosting too if poissible but a bit worried about the reported speed issues.
If the uptime robot ping was a solution that would be great!
I am going to have around 2000 categories and 5000 products. i dont know if thats too ambitous to run well on shared hosting..

Thanks!
7 years ago
"Going to sleep" isn't really a problem, perse. It is desirable that if no traffic is on your site for a period, for the memory to unload itself. It's like letting it take a nap...we all need naps, even servers.

That many categories and products is not likely to run well on a shared hosting environment...
I'd recommend a dedicated server, and possibly a second for your SQL Server and database... depending on the traffic load you expect.
7 years ago
Thanks for the info.
Id expect around 400-500 site visits per day. Thats around the amount i get at present.
Would a dedicated server be really expensive?

Thanks!!
7 years ago
For that little traffic, you could probably get away with a good VPS virtual private server, and possibly hosting your database on a separate SQL server (in same network) if your performance is still lacking.
Check out Liquidweb's VPS hosting: https://www.liquidweb.com/vps.html
That should serve up your enormous inventory very quickly, without getting into the costs of a fully dedicated server or servers...and it is scalable.
7 years ago
An alternate is semi-dedicated hosting.  It's less expensive than a dedicated, and also requires less management on your part (e.g. IIS, etc.)
7 years ago
thank you all - will take a look. Im on a budget but also dont want to have a slow site so the info is a  great starting point.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.