upgrade from 2.8

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
6 years ago
Hello , im not very skilled with nop, can anyone upgrade from 2.8 to 3.8 , is it easy ?
6 years ago
The upgrade between 2.8 and 3.8 is really easy.  That is for your NOP database and anticipating it is not highly customized.  Of course you will need to consider the upgrade and/or replacement for your theme as well.  We've done upgrades from 1.x to 3.9 and the only real hurdle is, and will always be, the jump from 1.x to 2.0 when NOP changed completely.

The scripts that NOP provides for these upgrade work very well.  I clocked a 2.1 to 3.6 upgrade and it took about 30 minutes, start to finish, with one script per version to run.  Good luck!
6 years ago
What would you charge to do that
6 years ago
So would we first choose another theme and upgrade, mysite is promosweets.com.au
6 years ago
It's always good to have a plan :)  The upgrade of the database and the choice of a theme are separate efforts, but they are ultimately related.  You will definitely want to know your theme choice fairly early on.  Themes themselves will alter the database schema for their own settings and content.  In-theme and add-on Plugins will likely alter the schema too.

But essentially you are looking at two parts.  The database and the theme.  It's OK to do a straight upgrade of your NOP first just to get yourself situated with the updated version.  NOP itself will have default clean and there's nothing wrong with starting there just to verify your data, settings, etc. came through.

WHen you choose a theme you install and after seeing your date with their layout, it's often the case that you want to try a different one too.  Sometimes it is difficult to envision how your 'widget' will look on a site where jewelry, for example, is featured.

My advice to clients when choosing a theme is to really pay most attention to the inner pages - Product detail and so on.  The home pages are so configurable via CSS and plugins that the very obvious impact created by certain themes can be drastically changed with a few clicks.  I sure hope this helps.
6 years ago
so my site , can stay as is promosweets.com.au and just be upgraded
6 years ago
Sorry - no

two parts - database and theme

upgrade the database, it will not work with your existing theme
choose a theme from the new version and apply it to your upgraded database
you'll see what needs to be done re images, sliders, etc.  

If you aren't in a position to do this yourself, definitely get some help

No matter what, do not upgrade in place!  You need to separate the production and dev environments so you can test and tweak the results.  Your site is not responsive and you need a responsive template.  

I do hope the info helps but at this juncture, if you are still unsure of what to do, probably will save you lots of time, frustration, and definitely MONEY to get some professional help.  NOP is still the affordable, extensible solution it has always been.  But there is a reason we get certified to work on it - takes a bit of time for all this to make sense and some underlying skills to make it wo
6 years ago
Thank you for your time and knowledge
6 years ago
Hi Chris

I have sent an email, but I would like to know if I can get a nop expert to check my site for issues, sales are way down and would like to get some to look
6 years ago
wallies wrote:
Hi Chris

I have sent an email, but I would like to know if I can get a nop expert to check my site for issues, sales are way down and would like to get some to look

Hi.
I've checked http://promosweets.com.au/sitemap.xml ... "The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."
... take a look at https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/21496/create-sitemap-that-has-my-product-pages-in-it.aspx
Best Regards.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.