MS SQL is too expensive. Let's FIRE the BIRD up!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
nopCommerce team | a.m. wrote:
We've moved to Entity Framework (it will be available in the next release). So it'll be quite easy to support new databases very soon

Great news Andrei
Looking forward for the next release...
13 years ago
Well recently Microsoft announced a new Database integration option that does not require the server to run server versions of MSSQL called SQL Server Compact. You can find more info here.
13 years ago
Im running sql express on a vps, works great. Is it true that shared hosting providers will not allow sql express? that is strange...

Regarding supporting other db's via entity framework - I recently tried to have EF support both oracle and sql server.. I finally gave up trying. I just could not get the data types to appropriately map over in a consistent way such that I switch out from one to the other. Not sure if firebird will be different? This was really disappointing to me, as I always had high expectations of being able to use the same EF models for both Sql and Oracle.
13 years ago
Are you ((anyone) outside USA)) able to have an USA hosting company for your website..?
As an USA citizen I did have an asp host that ran out of India, just to practice my coding (inexperience).
Currently, I switched to this fine cart software from php ZenCart.
I clicked through this site to ARVIXE hosting company.
Just bought one month to test this nopCommerce cart software.
But, I do believe I will buy one year at a time, due to the fact this cart software is pretty darn nice.
The good folks at Arvixe installed nopCommerce for me at no charge.
A dot com name, unlimited sub-domains, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited data bases, and up to six domains for six dollars a month is a pretty decent deal.
Do a google search for a coupon code to save ten dollars if you buy one years worth.
Guess that makes it about $60/year with a dot com name included.
I am hoping all folks 'round our purty blue world can be hosted as they wish.
Good luck.
13 years ago
boomhauer wrote:
Im running sql express on a vps, works great. Is it true that shared hosting providers will not allow sql express? that is strange...

Regarding supporting other db's via entity framework - I recently tried to have EF support both oracle and sql server.. I finally gave up trying. I just could not get the data types to appropriately map over in a consistent way such that I switch out from one to the other. Not sure if firebird will be different? This was really disappointing to me, as I always had high expectations of being able to use the same EF models for both Sql and Oracle.

HeeHee

Sun MicroSystems, Oracle, Linux (Lionel, himself), Microsoft had all sent me coffee cups, OS on cd/dvd/downloads, t-shirts, mouse pads, ect....
Ever since 3.1, no need to 'buy' any OS......
So called code 'experts', yea right.... Just ask the bricklayer next door for help....
HeeHee
13 years ago
harcord wrote:

Sun MicroSystems, Oracle, Linux (Lionel, himself), Microsoft had all sent me coffee cups, OS on cd/dvd/downloads, t-shirts, mouse pads, ect....

Lionel himself? Lionel Blair?

Is he related to Linus Torvalds? :)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.