Whats happening with my thumbs folder

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
6 years ago
Hello,

I'm using nopCommerce 3.90 with source.

I noticed that the disk availability on my web server(on discountAsp.net) is down to 2%.

I could not figure out why, since on Friday, I had 38% of available disk space and I did not change anything on our website.

I contacted tech support and they said that I have over 34,000 files on my website.  After checking the files on my local hard drive, I found that my whole Visual Studio solution on my local system did not even have half that many files.

I contacted tech support again and they recommended that I use Filezilla to download my website.

I started that and it's still downloading.  I noticed that the "thumbs" folder has many more files in it than what I have on my local hard drive.

I looked at the dates on the files in that folder on the server and they are mostly dated 9/30/2017, 10/01/2017 and 10/02/2017.

Something is adding image files to my thumbs folder and it still adding image files to it.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be happening?

Thanks,
Tony
6 years ago
Thumb images get automatically created in multiple sizes.  You can search these forums for discussions about it - e.g. https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/45493/disable-image-renaming.aspx
6 years ago
Hi,

Check if these thumbs file are relevant to your product (in different sizes as required) or are something else?

Regards
6 years ago
nopAccelerate wrote:
Hi,

Check if these thumbs file are relevant to your product (in different sizes as required) or are something else?

Regards

I looked at some of the images and they do appear to be images of the products I have in the database.

Is it true that I can safely delete all of the images in the thumbs folder?

According to this post, I can: https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/44408/clean-up-images-folder-and-thumb-folder.aspx

Thanks,
Tony
6 years ago
Yes, you can safely delete thumbs. They will get recreated automatically.
6 years ago
New York wrote:
Yes, you can safely delete thumbs. They will get recreated automatically.

I'm puzzled about this and I have not read in detail the article you previously pointed to.

If my media settings the "Pictures are stored into..." is set to Database, why does it need to create the images in the thumbs folder?

Thanks,
Tony
6 years ago
I just deleted all of the 34,000 files in the Thumbs folder.  I now have over 70% of available disk space on my server.  

nopCommerce already started recreating images in that folder.  So, I guess all those files will be recreated and I will be back to 0% available disk space.

Does that mean the only way to resolve my available disk space issue is to order more disk space from my hosting comapny?

Thanks,
Tony
6 years ago
You're right, Carneno, there aren't many circumstances where one wouldn't want to "store in db", as it is implemented in nopCommerce.  The setting name could be ameliorated.  "Store original in db"?

If you're on nopCommerce 3.7 or later, you could look into Azure blob storage!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.