Serious IIS Application Pool recycling bug/design flaw

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
5 years ago
timmit wrote:

Download Nop 4.0 source
Replace PluginManager.cs code with this - https://pastebin.com/RABL78sb
Build in release mode
Copy Nop.Core.dll to all affected websites
Delete the Plugins/bin folder (where the shadow copy dlls used to preside)

Won't take you more than 30 minutes. Nop Team don't give a shit, there's no patch coming.

I've been using this fix in production for a very long time without issue.

Thank you so much for your efforts on this! I have spent last whole day trying to fix this without success. Always happened once in a while on my Azure site but thought it would just be a glitch. With the steps above, I was able to rerun the site again. However, I can see Plugins/bin folder keeps poping up with those plugin assemblies. Is there a missing step like turning off a configuration flag for shadowing assemblies?
5 years ago
mgustafsson wrote:
Now our production site in Azure went down again.

Application startup exception: System.Exception: Plugin 'Seven Spikes Core'. Could not load file or assembly 'SevenSpikes.Nop.Plugins.Core.dll' or one of its dependencies. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
Could not load file or assembly 'SevenSpikes.Nop.Plugins.Core.dll' or one of its dependencies.

Overlapped recycle is disabled, this is what applicationhost.config looks like (SITE_NAME is replaced):

<system.applicationHost>
    <applicationPools>
      <add name="SITE_NAME" managedRuntimeVersion="v4.0">
        <processModel identityType="ApplicationPoolIdentity" />
        <recycling disallowOverlappingRotation="true" />
      </add>
      <add name="~1SITE_NAME" managedRuntimeVersion="v4.0" managedPipelineMode="Integrated">
        <processModel identityType="ApplicationPoolIdentity" />
        <recycling disallowOverlappingRotation="true" />
      </add>
    </applicationPools>

Anyone any ideas?

Also why is this not patch fixed in v4.0? I can't think of any better reason to release a patch fix.

I thought mine was fixed but came back you same error with you. Updated all plugins, disallowed overlapping still get this issue of access denied to nop plugin. Have you resolved the issue?
5 years ago
Wow - I was on .Net Rocks website looking at Music to Code By (https://secure.pwop.com/mtcb-mp3-9-track-collection) and they are down with the same issues (they are running nopCommerce obviously).

Andrei and nop Team - quite frankly this is absolutely embarrassing for you guys and if you don't feel it YOU SHOULD. And to not put a hotfix out for an issue like this puts the stability of the product in serious doubt. I'm strongly considering moving my own sites and my client sites off of nop - perhaps writing our own.

Truly - after years of great use and being impressed with the team I am thoroughly disappointed with this issue and the nopCommerce response to it (more like lack of response). It is absolutely unacceptable. I have clients ready to leave over it - so now my business could be hurt and my reputation already is. That's on you.
5 years ago
w12ard wrote:

Download Nop 4.0 source
Replace PluginManager.cs code with this - https://pastebin.com/RABL78sb
Build in release mode
Copy Nop.Core.dll to all affected websites
Delete the Plugins/bin folder (where the shadow copy dlls used to preside)

Won't take you more than 30 minutes. Nop Team don't give a shit, there's no patch coming.

I've been using this fix in production for a very long time without issue.

Thank you so much for your efforts on this! I have spent last whole day trying to fix this without success. Always happened once in a while on my Azure site but thought it would just be a glitch. With the steps above, I was able to rerun the site again. However, I can see Plugins/bin folder keeps poping up with those plugin assemblies. Is there a missing step like turning off a configuration flag for shadowing assemblies?

If the Plugins/bin folder is being recreated then it doesn't sound like you've deployed the fix successfully. I've just checked our production server and the bin folder isn't there... and this has been running for a very long time now.
5 years ago
phuff34 wrote:
Wow - I was on .Net Rocks website looking at Music to Code By (https://secure.pwop.com/mtcb-mp3-9-track-collection) and they are down with the same issues (they are running nopCommerce obviously).

Andrei and nop Team - quite frankly this is absolutely embarrassing for you guys and if you don't feel it YOU SHOULD. And to not put a hotfix out for an issue like this puts the stability of the product in serious doubt. I'm strongly considering moving my own sites and my client sites off of nop - perhaps writing our own.

Truly - after years of great use and being impressed with the team I am thoroughly disappointed with this issue and the nopCommerce response to it (more like lack of response). It is absolutely unacceptable. I have clients ready to leave over it - so now my business could be hurt and my reputation already is. That's on you.

I know right? How can they be ignoring this? I assume they still think it's user error. Leaving a problem like this unfixed for this long sends a very strong message that NopCommerce is for developers and developers only. How is your average non-developer supposed to deal with this? Nop team what the fuck?
5 years ago
timmit wrote:

I know right? How can they be ignoring this? I assume they still think it's user error. Leaving a problem like this unfixed for this long sends a very strong message that NopCommerce is for developers and developers only. How is your average non-developer supposed to deal with this? Nop team what the fuck?

Still no fix for this?
5 years ago
So I went ahead and made my own fixes and service to get around this.

My approach is to use virtual machines.
there are a number of benefits to going VM

I have my domain on azure dns with all the goodies, traffic manager, high availability,
Etc.

Using a vm, I'm able to avoid this bug and also take advantage of having environment control .

I have a cookie cutter solution ready for sale too cus I want all of us to get the best of NOP with no fret.
Not pitching here but want to share that we can make good of this.

I want us all to be able to enjoy 1 click launch and also have super stupid simple methods for giving admins mapping and syncing capability.

So....

I think we should be proactive and collaborate on creating our solutions while the core team works on whatever they're working on.

If anyone reading this is interested in my approach, feel free to pm me
5 years ago
Being forced to use a VM is not great. We will wait for 4.1, cause we will never move away from web apps. Its way more cost efficient for us, as well as less maintenance.
5 years ago
yeap, we have same problem. We use solution from this topic, but today we have holiday i try to rest, and clients sends PM and asking us "what's going on, page don't working"...

I check logs... and 5 hours page was been down...

It's so weak... we waited a half year to take stable nop 4.0... and... have something like this... In nop 3.7 we have 0 problems... i'm so disapointed... we need write script today, and application will be restarted all time when server generate 500 error... but... is this a really solution? Well...  maybe 4.1 will solve this... but what certainty this has no to a generate new bugs like this...
5 years ago
We usually dont use the newest version if we dont have to. Its too bad though.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.