Time to First Byte: F!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
6 years ago
We are preparing to deploy a nopCommerce site (http://www.trishoponline.com) and I've followed many of the optimization guides meticulously, deleting unused Languages and Countries and deactivating plugins to improve site performance. We've got a few images left to optimize, but otherwise I'm pretty comfortable with its performance, except in one area.

Using webpagetest.org, my "Time to First Byte" is atrocious, at 1+ seconds at its best and sometimes more than 2 seconds. I'm using a cloud server with 2 GB of memory (and plenty is still available) and a dedicated SQL Server, both on Everleap. I'm considering a CDN in the future but ultimately, performance once the site responds and starts downloading the page and images, things are satisfactory.

Test yourself if you like:

https://www.trishoponline.com/2018-cervelo-p3-8060

Anyone else experienced similar issues and corrected them? Any guidance on dealing with performance issues like this? This just seems like low hanging fruit if I can get the TTFB down under a half-second.
6 years ago
TTFB is a challenging issue - at a big half billion dollar company I managed web development for we had a hard time getting our TTFB down below 2 seconds on an MVC 5 application.

I do feel that one significant performance improvement would be to get away from EF for data access - utilize stored procs and optimized queries more and get rid of the overhead of EF. Problem with this route is once you replace the data layer you are stuck in a challenging spot for upgrade path.
6 years ago
Just a little trick..

Open shared/_productbox.cshtml..

Remove all widget call you find in it (sure, if you dont use it).

See, if you have 30 products on a category page, for each product box nop will check at least 4 times for a widget.. even in cache, there are 30 x 4 x XXms, and it is a waste of time, literally.

Another thing to check.. avoid using too many plugins, nop cant handle to much plugins very well and the result is bad TTFB too.
5 years ago
iob2000 wrote:
Just a little trick..

Thank you for that tip!!!

I just tested it.  

A page that uses the shared/_productbox.cshtml had a 2.08 TTFB and a Lighthouse speed score of 31! Ouch!

After removing all the HTML.Widget instances, TTFB was fixed and the Lighthouse speed score jumped to 50.

I will now go though all the razor views and remove the unused HTML.Widget instances.

Thank you!
5 years ago
HI mstuart!

How is it going?

I thought of checking your site but it's currently offline.
4 years ago
iob2000 wrote:
Just a little trick..

See, if you have 30 products on a category page, for each product box nop will check at least 4 times for a widget.. even in cache, there are 30 x 4 x XXms, and it is a waste of time, literally.

Another thing to check.. avoid using too many plugins, nop cant handle to much plugins very well and the result is bad TTFB too.

I use Third party plugins , so I comment unused @html.widget
the result was acceptable, TTFB reduced from 1.2 to 0.8 which is good in my case.

thanks you
4 years ago
farhad_kzp wrote:
Just a little trick..

I use Third party plugins , so I comment unused @html.widget
the result was acceptable, TTFB reduced from 1.2 to 0.8 which is good in my case.

thanks you

Hi! maybe you make something more? From some reason we still have TTFB from 0,6 - 2,2 s... we want make it more stable. And if this possible faster? Maybe someobdy have more ideas? We use Nop 4.1
4 years ago
https://www.nopcommerce.com/common-tips-settings-recommendations-to-optimize-performance-in-nopcommerce
3 years ago
Changing http version from v1.1 to v2 (on Azure Web Apps) improved my ttfb from around 10s to less than 1s! It was so simple yet so effective!!!
3 years ago
is there any similar solution in windows server?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.