Customizing template

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hello.... I need to create a very customized template. At the moment, the only way to accomplish this is by mean of modifying directly each web control (*.ascx files), the pages (*.aspx files) and the masterpage. Is this the right way to do it?

Thanks
Jaime
13 years ago
Yes, correct
13 years ago
but ascx and aspx files coul be overwritten when there is an upgrade.
How is it possible to organize template for avoiding this problem?

Thank you
13 years ago
Document your changes..
I use winmerge to see if any pages change between versions and if nothing changes just overwrite with my updated documents.. if it does change its normally minor and easy to fix.
13 years ago
you can use version control tool as well.
you have to compare the changes when upgrading.
13 years ago
For my project , I use track+tortoise
13 years ago
I use Collabnet subversion.
13 years ago
Collabnet for Windows? Is free?

I subversion ( linux ) + trac + tortoise.

Is there a similar software like trac on Windows?
13 years ago
You can alter files or you can create new ones. when creating new ones I think you can upgrade more easily.

Personally I change the existing files. When I upgrade to a new nopCommerce version I would sort folder (I mostly change master/modules and CSS files by date and I can see all the files I have changed and copy them to the new project. To be sure and to check twice I would use Winmerge. very old school I know... :-)

If you gonna change your website all the time, I would use version control. Some very well know version control software is GIT and Mercurial

Also If you change/create some tables make a backup if you upgrade nopCommerce.
13 years ago
biapar wrote:

I subversion ( linux ) + trac + tortoise.

Yes. For windows and free.

Sorry I do not know, I do not use this.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.