ver 1.7 much slower then 1.6

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
My current host gives NopCommerce 1.6 as a webinstall. I installed it and it works great, lightning fast. The I saw NopCommerce 1.7 was released so I decided to give it a try. Unfortunatly it seems much slower, and I'm wondering why. Is it because my webhost may have optimized something on the 1.6 that they install, or because vers 1.7 is truly slower? I know of the major change from sp to entity framework, and I'm wondering if that is the cause, and if is if there is something I can do. Has anything else been changed, like the cache mechanism? I tested 1.7 with default settings.
13 years ago
Correct, we moved to Entity Framework. And the most of entities are cached per request now.
13 years ago
nopCommerce team | a.m. wrote:
Correct, we moved to Entity Framework. And the most of entities are cached per request now.

I know that. But can you confirm me that it's slower?  On my webhost it's at least twice as slow. Is there anything I can do to make it faster?
13 years ago
bitstar wrote:

I know that. But can you confirm me that it's slower?  On my webhost it's at least twice as slow. Is there anything I can do to make it faster?

Same here, 1.7 twice as slow as 1.6
13 years ago
I too have found this under both load testing and from my web monitoring (PRTG) which shows load times (time to first byte) after upgrade of a very standard site with about 2000 products (monitoring a page with 19 products) goes from 355 milliseconds in 1.60 to 767 milliseconds in 1.70. I've upgraded my 1.60 site to .NET 4.0 too and found exactly the same results.

Any page with data being loaded through the entity framework is showing this significant slowdown. It also appears to grow exponentially with data and any caching certainly isn't helping speed after the first hit.

It's a shame as the entity framework is a joy to use. This is quite a significant slowdown though and on my more complex pages is showing a drop from ~500 ms to 1.3-1.5 seconds! Memory usage is very similar. I'm finding that 1.70 is using approx 9% more memory. Nothing too serious.

We're going to have to hold off upgrading to 1.70 until nop at least acknowledge they've replicated this issue and that we're not all going mad!
13 years ago
I am experiencing similar results. After running a web monitor on the main page (default.aspx) the average response time for version 1.6 is 225ms and for version 1.7 it is 950ms  (about 75% decrease in performance). About two weeks ago I reported this issue in another thread https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/5109/nopcommerce-v170-released.aspx?p=4

Another member (Slawek) replied to the above thread with further analysis. What he did was turn OFF all caching in both v1.6 and v1.7 and compared them - the resulting response times were similar. This led him to believe (correctly in my opinion) that the problem is NOT in the Entity Frameworks code but rather in the new caching logic used in v1.7

Hope this gets fixed in this version or in the next. Version 1.6's speed is a definite asset, especially in a site with a large number of products.
13 years ago
jsr wrote:
About two weeks ago I reported this issue in another thread https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/5109/nopcommerce-v170-released.aspx?p=4

Another member (Slawek) replied to the above thread with further analysis. What he did was turn OFF all caching in both v1.6 and v1.7 and compared them - the resulting response times were similar. This led him to believe (correctly in my opinion) that the problem is NOT in the Entity Frameworks code but rather in the new caching logic used in v1.7

Hi JSR, yes I spotted that which is what first gave me hope. Glad to hear it's something other than the Entity Framework as the Nop chaps have clearly worked hard and done a good job to integrate this marvelous bit of technology.

Like you say, let's hope that they can release (or at least give us a timescale for a release) of a version with this fixed. I'm going to stick with 1.60 until I know.

Any chance of an estimate Mr Nop? :)
13 years ago
fireblade669 wrote:
Any chance of an estimate Mr Nop? :)

The next version will be released in 30-40 days, but the caching logic will not be changed. It's not a good practice to cache entities between requests (like it was implemented in 1.60).
13 years ago
Any thoughts on how to get some quick speed increase's from 1.7

My trouble is on the customer / order side of things.   I have about 400 products with 700 variants and the product side of things runs smooth with a small number of products.

In 1.6 I could import 50,000 customers and 100,000 orders in a bit over a hour from my old classic asp site.  1.7 takes over 8 hours to import the same number. Entity framework slows depending on the number of records.  so the first customer take a 1/4 of second while the last customer takes 5 minutes.   I rewrote the entire import to use direct SQL so im back to about a hour.   This is on a fast local machine with the source pre-compiled directly running IIS 7 with sql server 2008 with a quad core processor running 4.6 mhz and 8 gigs of ram.

Then with that number of customers the registration / checkout crawls to a snails pace.  it takes minutes to complete the checkout.

My worry is this site averages 100 to 150 orders a day with about a 50/50 split between returning and new customers.

Ive tried it with both caching on and off.  I'm ready to go live with this new site,  but i cant possibly with the current performance.

Thoughts?

-Keith
13 years ago
SonicImaging wrote:
In 1.6 I could import 50,000 customers...

nopCommerce.com has almost the same number of registered customers and it works quite fast.
The main reason to move to Entity Framework was the speed of development, and we knew that the performance would reduce.
P.S. You can also look at this topic
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.