ver 1.7 much slower then 1.6

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
From my point of view the access speed of the cart by customers is much  more important than development speed.

They (the customer) could care less about the technology behind it.

I, over the years speak with many and if they hit a site that does not come up fast enough (or navigate thru the site with too much of a delay), they move on.

Bottom line...Possible Sale Lost.

So we wil not be moving to 1.7.

Enterprise FW sounds nice and neat from a tech point of view but unless the above concerns are addressed we'll stick to a lower version of nopCommerce which we are very very happy with.

I could be wrong but my guess is that there a really only a small percentage of coders who are asking for this change. Usually the same ones over and over from what I noticed.

Yes they are probably the ones posting most often. The rest of us are happy the the way is was and don't post too often if at all.
13 years ago
nopCommerce team | a.m. wrote:

nopCommerce.com has almost the same number of registered customers and it works quite fast.
The main reason to move to Entity Framework was the speed of development, and we knew that the performance would reduce.
P.S. You can also look at this topic

Thanks Andrei,  that's good to know...  Ill keep digging and see where I might be slowing things down.  Im setting up ants profiler for another project tomorrow so ill run it with that and see.

-K
13 years ago
ASP5 wrote:
From my point of view the access speed of the cart by customers is much  more important than development speed.

They (the customer) could care less about the technology behind it.

I, over the years speak with many and if they hit a site that does not come up fast enough (or navigate thru the site with too much of a delay), they move on.

Bottom line...Possible Sale Lost.

So we wil not be moving to 1.7.

Enterprise FW sounds nice and neat from a tech point of view but unless the above concerns are addressed we'll stick to a lower version of nopCommerce which we are very very happy with.

I could be wrong but my guess is that there a really only a small percentage of coders who are asking for this change. Usually the same ones over and over from what I noticed.

Yes they are probably the ones posting most often. The rest of us are happy the the way is was and don't post too often if at all.

ASP5 makes nopCommerce 1.7 sound like Windows Vista. Microsoft was quick to release Windows 7 because of the bad reviews their customers gave who bought Windows Vista.

I agree with ASP5. When I buy a car, I do not care what is under the hood (I am not a mechanic). What I care about is that it runs good and gets good gas mileage. nopCommerce needs to run good and get good gas mileage, or in a web hosting sense, needs to make efficient use of web hosting resources.
13 years ago
I also agree with last posts: There's nothing more important to online shopper than speed. Waiting is unacceptable.
13 years ago
SonicImaging wrote:
Any thoughts on how to get some quick speed increase's from 1.7

My trouble is on the customer / order side of things.   I have about 400 products with 700 variants and the product side of things runs smooth with a small number of products.

In 1.6 I could import 50,000 customers and 100,000 orders in a bit over a hour from my old classic asp site.  1.7 takes over 8 hours to import the same number. Entity framework slows depending on the number of records.  so the first customer take a 1/4 of second while the last customer takes 5 minutes.   I rewrote the entire import to use direct SQL so im back to about a hour.   This is on a fast local machine with the source pre-compiled directly running IIS 7 with sql server 2008 with a quad core processor running 4.6 mhz and 8 gigs of ram.

Then with that number of customers the registration / checkout crawls to a snails pace.  it takes minutes to complete the checkout.

My worry is this site averages 100 to 150 orders a day with about a 50/50 split between returning and new customers.

Ive tried it with both caching on and off.  I'm ready to go live with this new site,  but i cant possibly with the current performance.

Thoughts?

-Keith

Ive sorted out my issues,  well code issues.   I believe it was a few things working against me.  I had some un-synchronized  mapping tables from my custom import so that was throwing a lot of errors.  Plus my SQL server log file was over a gig from all the import testing (it should have cleared itself)  So clearing, regenerating the nop database and re-importing from scratch helped big time.

With those resolved,  I have 57,345 customers.  106,890 orders imported and its now running very fast.  new registrations, check out are running great.

Also i think entity framework isn't adapted well for importing a large number of records in one shot.  There still is the issue with each imported object taking a longer amount of time.   You can almost half the import time by importing a smaller number of records for each transaction.  so for 50,000 customers I imported about 1000 at a time using the nop object context.  still took 3 hours more then 1.6 but its a improvement.  Ill enter a feature request for the importer

Thanks
-Keith
13 years ago
SonicImaging wrote:
Ive sorted out my issues,  well code issues...
...and its now running very fast.  new registrations, check out are running great.

Nice to hear it. We'll keep working on performance optimization in further releases
13 years ago
i said put everything behind and focus on speed and bug fixed. I think it more important to have stable shopping cart with less feature then all the extra features that slow. Please focus on perfomance first.
13 years ago
I think solution pre-generating views will significantly improve performance of Entity Framwork. You can find more info here (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2008/02/04/exploring-the-performance-of-the-ado-net-entity-framework-part-1.aspx) and here.

"However, the downside of this solution is the need to keep the generated views synchronized with changes to the model" - that's why we'll not follow this solution into official releases
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.