DB engine and EF Core

1 year ago
Hello

I've asked a couple of times regarding the possibility to utilize EF Core 2.0, so we as nopCommerce users/ developers can decide what DB-engine we want to pay for.

I am a C# and SQL Server developer and I really like SQL Server, but when it comes to licensing for startups it is really expensive to keep it rolling.

I would like the opportunity to use PostgreSQL :)

Dear nopCommerce DevTeam,

What is your roadmap on fully implementing EF Core 2.0 in nopCommerce?
1 year ago
Our upcoming version 4.10 already uses EF Core 2.1
1 year ago
Sorry for cutting in with a partly related question, but you could be the right person to give me the answer I was wondering about some time already.

In a new installtion we decided for using the free MS SQL Server Express edition. What are we missing that avoids my attention beside the 10GB limit?
If nothing important, than why is everybody considers MS SQL Server as expensive? Do you all need >10GB ?  (Then I should I fire my career advisor, what are you selling? :-)
1 year ago
libor wrote:
Sorry for cutting in with a partly related question, but you could be the right person to give me the answer I was wondering about some time already.

In a new installtion we decided for using the free MS SQL Server Express edition. What are we missing that avoids my attention beside the 10GB limit?
If nothing important, than why is everybody considers MS SQL Server as expensive? Do you all need >10GB ?  (Then I should I fire my career advisor, what are you selling? :-)


Hi libor

Nothing wrong with the 10GB limit, but it is limited to lesser of 1 socket or 4 cores, meaning you can experience drastically slow response times when Entity Framework is in use.
1 year ago
janus007 wrote:
...limited to lesser of 1 socket or 4 cores, meaning you can experience drastically slow response times when Entity Framework is in use.


Thank you, could you please share a little more of your experience with me, testing these issues ourselves would be to much hassle and expensive for us.

I've seen this limitation but thought it is not relevant for us because we are renting a 4-core server anyway. We pay now 54 EUR monthly for a Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 v5 Quad-Core dedicated machine with 64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM and 2x 512 GB NVMe Gen3 x4 SSD.  It is running practically a single nopcommerce webshop, (some testing/staging websites with zero trafic are also present)

We have 460ms time to first byte result and a 2.2 sec home page load time on GTMetrix, (goes up to 2.6 sec on our largest category page with 80 products on one page) PageSpeed score is A(93%) YSlow score(82%)

- What do you think could this be improved with renting a faster (8 or more core) machine and upgrading to a real production SQL server edition?
- How much would the gained additional speed affect user experience and/or our SEO rating?
1 year ago
Hi libor

Sounds a bit like a caching issue.

Or are you using any plugins that can interfere with the category page?
1 year ago
a.m. wrote:
Our upcoming version 4.10 already uses EF Core 2.1

Hi Andrei

Sound great, but shouldn't it then be possible to use PostgreSQL as DB-engine? or is there something in nopCommerce that affects the EF Core providers?

Cheers
Janus, Denmark