.NET vs Python

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hallo everyone.

Today i had a disagreement about which is the best language, C# with ASP.Net and Sql Server or python with postgresql?

Can you please give me some good points cause i have to prove that it is a better choice to choose .NET for our eshop instead of Python?
13 years ago
I think you would be best posting this question on StackOverflow as it will get a broader response.
13 years ago
Thank you.
13 years ago
xmarios wrote:
Hallo everyone.

Today i had a disagreement about which is the best language, C# with ASP.Net and Sql Server or python with postgresql?

Can you please give me some good points cause i have to prove that it is a better choice to choose .NET for our eshop instead of Python?

There are few developers who think : If we disregard language specific features and look strictly at support, C# had 3 Microsoft supported ways to get to SQL Server -- SqlClient, System.Data.ODBC with a supported ODBC driver, and System.Data.OLEDB with a supported OLE DB driver (and there are two of each of those).  Most people seem to prefer SqlClient for performance reasons in C#, but the options are there.

For Python, there are no Microsoft supported drivers available out there to connect to SQL Server, so you are left with 3rd party vendor support, though there does seem to be a fair amount of that out there.

Looking at language specific component, the .Net runtime has a set of classes that make connecting to SQL Server and manipulating data very easy and intuitive.  I am not personally familiar with Python specific abstractions, but ADO.Net is very easy to use.
13 years ago
At the same time few people say:

python has extenstions too for accessing sql server namely pymssql, pyodbc, and thru' clr (built in ironpython). And thru CLR, u get access to all .Net libraries like in C#. There might be some exceptions. But anyway, few developers suppose python has capabilities to access Sql Server as good as C#.
13 years ago
As I said, you are likely to get a biased view here :)

Let's not forget Microsoft SQL Server isn't the only database system out there - there's MySQL, Firebird, PostGreSQL to name a few, all supported by python.

I really like the dynamic nature of python and it's the choice language of people like Google so must be pretty good.

That said, I haven't got time to learn any more languages :p although I would also recommend checking out Ruby on rails.
13 years ago
If I were to choose a programming platform other than .NET, it would be Java or Python.

Python is very similar to C# and Java.

I would definitely choose Python over PHP any day of the week.
13 years ago
Just read in the news today about a new programming language coming about that has security built into it. It is called Fabric and is built on top of Java. It is something interesting to read about.

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/projects/fabric/index.html
13 years ago
There is a new portable driver for SQL Server at www.pytds.com
It can make you're deployment much cheaper if you want to scale web part.
It has a good stored procedure wrapper capability and makes database
programming look more "functional"...
12 years ago
nopCommerce team | retroviz wrote:
I think you would be best posting this question on StackOverflow as it will get a broader response.
I also think so
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.