New approach to create language packs

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
4 years ago
Hi everyone!

Today we'd like to announce a new approach to create language packs.

Language packs will be now translated via Crowdin and anyone can join the translations. Your contribution may be small (for 1 word only) or really large-scale - it’s up to you. Carefully chosen proofreaders will check the correctness of the edits. They are native speakers who have experience of work with nopCommerce.

Why the changes became needed? Earlier, in order to put an archive with a language pack on the marketplace, one person should translate the entire language pack as a whole (~ 6000 lines). It was a laborious process taking a lot of time.

With the new approach, several people can work on one language pack at once to save time. Moreover, it will be much easier to make small corrections and improvements in the existing packs.

Please find more about this new approach in this blog post. Please also share your opinion about it in this forum topic
4 years ago
This seems to be best approach. We would like to become proofreader for Hindi as our native language :)

Thank you nopCommerce team for introducing this new approach.
4 years ago
Awesome

Thanks Nopcommerce Team
4 years ago
Hope it will be the best approach.

I would like to work for Bengali language pack.
4 years ago
Congrats for this new approach! I hope other people will join efforts in translating nopCommerce.

I'm working on Romanian language pack for version 4.20 and got more than 60% completed. Do I also have to translate 4.0 and 4.1? I don't understand exactly if they do depend on each other, or maybe each version is completely separated.

Also I would like to know if there's any possibility to download my translation and try it in a test environment without waiting for other people to approve my translation. Romanians are lazy. It will take forever :)

Thank you!
4 years ago
nevrax wrote:

I'm working on Romanian language pack for version 4.20 and got more than 60% completed. Do I also have to translate 4.0 and 4.1? I don't understand exactly if they do depend on each other, or maybe each version is completely separated.

Hi.
Language resources files depend on each other, but only in one direction from bottom to top. That is, if you first translate the 4.0, all the finished translated strings will also be in the 4.10, 4.20, etc. But, if you first translate the 4.20, it will only be the translated 4.20, the translations will not be copied to previous versions. Therefore, it is advisable to start translate from the older versions to the new ones to avoid excess work on the translation of the same strings.

nevrax wrote:

Also I would like to know if there's any possibility to download my translation and try it in a test environment without waiting for other people to approve my translation. Romanians are lazy. It will take forever :)

At the moment, there is no way to download translated but not approved language pack files.
4 years ago
Hi RomanovM,
I'm working on Bengali language. But to do that, I'm facing huge problem. As the file is very big in size, it's taking too much time to load, scroll, find, edit and even save. It will better if you split them into 3-4 parts.
4 years ago
mhsjaber wrote:
Hi RomanovM,
I'm working on Bengali language. But to do that, I'm facing huge problem. As the file is very big in size, it's taking too much time to load, scroll, find, edit and even save. It will better if you split them into 3-4 parts.

Hi.
Thanks for your contribution.
You can significantly reduce the load time of the file if you open it in a basic list view mode (not in WYSIWYG) .

I also advise you to carefully read the instructions for working with translations, maybe there are more useful tips.
4 years ago
Hi everyone!

We are looking for translators and proofreaders for the following languages:

Armenian
Bulgarian
Chinese simplified
Chinese traditional
Czech
Dutch
Filipino
Hebrew
Hindi
Icelandic
Korean
Macedonian
Norwegian
Romanian
Serbian
Sinhala
Slovenian
Swedish
Turkish
Urdu
Vietnamese

Please contact us if you would like to contribute!
3 years ago
I suggest to move the language resource directories one level deeper in the file system under a locales/ or sg similarly named directory in the production build.
It is annoying that all those 50 pcs two-letter country-codes directories clutter the main folder each time when I manually do something on the server's file system.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.