Development & Upgrade strategy 1.9/1.9/2.0

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
Hi all,

I am planning to start using NopCommerce. But because of the Roadmap schedule for 1.9 (December) and 2.0 (February) I want to know what the impact will be when I now start developing and using NopCommerce 1.8 but want to follow the new releases.

In more detail:
1. If I start in 1.8 will the migration to 1.9 be difficult?
2. And will what will that be for 1.8 to 2.0 or 1.9 to 2.0?
3. Will there be a breaking chances overview or a update help document or blog?

My main reason for these questions is to plan migration impact the best possible.

Any help, tips or experiences are very appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Perry van der Meeren
13 years ago
hello Perry

welcome to nopCommerce community.

Well, updating from lower version to higher version is quite easy and not at all complicated.

The best approach to update any version is to go step by step each version up. like 1.8 to 1.9 then to 2.0.

The only thing that you need to keep in mind is that, if you make any kind of changes in the database of any version , you can't update to higher version until you undo / delete the database changes. In order to update any version to higher version, the database must be in original state / structure . Other that that, you can make any kind of changes in the code and could update your website without any issues.

If you feel like getting any documentation for the installation, you can buy it from here : https://www.nopcommerce.com/p/142/nopcommerce-version-180-user-guide.aspx

Other than that, if you need any help , we all community members are here to help you out.
13 years ago
Thank you for the information.  Now I know how to organize my development.

Perry
13 years ago
Try to avoid making db changes if you can (new tables are fine). It will make your life much easier.

I keep notes of all the changes I've made to source and config files to make upgrading easier. I also keep everything in source control (svn).

HTH.
13 years ago
We're working on a WINDOWS FORM based application to help people upgrade and install nopcommerce in a much more easier fashion.
13 years ago
larrylan wrote:
We're working on a WINDOWS FORM based application to help people upgrade and install nopcommerce in a much more easier fashion.

That's great news larry !
13 years ago
You're right to be concerned about this.  Where I work, 4 months after we started using an e-commerce system, the product owners & developers had requested and implemented so much change, that it would have been a major undertaking to upgrade to the next release.

I agree with the comment regarding using source control, because you're going to have to merge changes you make in 1.8 to the 1.9 source, and then again into the 2.0 source, etc.  And, if you've had experience merging code, you know it's not always that straight forward or easy.

The site I manage (for my wife) is at http://www.mydeliciousdeliveries.com/.  I created a custom 1 and 2 column theme.  This has made my upgrade more difficult since 1.9 uses a 3 column master page more.  Other than fixing my theme, I'm fixing my modified controls, modules, and templates to inherit from the new BaseNopFrontend* classes and switching out *Manager references to this.*Service references.  It's pretty much "Find & Replace" work for the most part.  But, in some cases, where I've made a copy of a control or module for my changes, and there has been some significant changes to the nopCommerce code, I have to do some more serious re-work.

If anyone has any specific tips for managing your development and changes in order to ease upgrading as much as possible, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks,

Dale
13 years ago
dalenewman wrote:

If anyone has any specific tips for managing your development and changes in order to ease upgrading as much as possible, I'd love to hear about them.

My two-pennies worth is that I'd strongly recommend planning your implementation, trying to avoid all database and object structure (ie products and categories) changes, when they changed from *manager to *service, this meant a lot of changes. Yes, mostly copy and paste but where I'd modified the DB, these fields were no more.

The loss of "ProductType" was a bit of a nightmare for us, so if you are coming from earlier versions watch out for that too.

On a large site I've found everything from the implementation of Linq/EF onwards to be very slower.

Generally I find myself needing to modify Nop's menus (which aren't built in a nested UL/LI structure (in my opinion a serious weakness) and some of the areas where Nop loads up ALL categories or products. With a couple of thousand categories the standard admin becomes unusably slow.

Not that I'm saying it's all bad. Far from it, I think it's the best open source .NET eCommerce engine and is getting better with each iteration.

Sometimes that necessitates unhappy developers!
13 years ago
Can you let me know when the 2.0 release targeted? i am planning to start use nopcommerce but then i found 2.0 will have asp.net MVC3. So i just wanted to know the release date so that i can plan accordingly

Thanks
13 years ago
sathiscs wrote:
Can you let me know when the 2.0 release targeted? i am planning to start use nopcommerce but then i found 2.0 will have asp.net MVC3. So i just wanted to know the release date so that i can plan accordingly

Thanks

NopCommerce 2.0 will be released around May-June (2011).
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.