Best way to customize a theme?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
4 years ago
How can I customize a theme, so that my customizations are not mixed within the theme folder?

I am using the DefaultClean Theme.
I would like to make some changes to some of the views.

I am thinking about creating a new directory within the Themes folder, where I put my customized views (with the appropriate subfolders).

Can I do that and what are the necessary steps, so that my views are picked up?
I am using 4.2.
Thankx, Harry
4 years ago
[email protected] wrote:
I am thinking about creating a new directory within the Themes folder, where I put my customized views (with the appropriate subfolders).

Yes, you are right.

Here is the theme development guide with necessary steps.
4 years ago
Thankx a lot Jaber. I have seen this post.

What I don't like about this approach is, that I need to copy all the content of an existing theme.
I would rather just copy the views I am going to change. This way I can see very easily which files I have changed and which not.
I have seen articles which use Razor View Locater, but I cannot bring it to work.
Any thoughts about this approach?
4 years ago
To override the views in the theme you probably need to make a plugin that does it using code similar to Razor View Locater
If you copy DefaultClean to make your new theme and then edit the new theme that is probably the easiest
You can always see the difference between the two themes using the tool DiffMerge https://sourcegear.com/diffmerge/
Or alternatively you can use a Git Repository in Visual Studio Team Explorer to track the changes you made in the new theme
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.